Send Topic Print
KijÚ Coming Along (Read 2548 times)
Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
KijÚ Coming Along
Jul 3rd, 2011 at 8:35pm

Our little Lieutenant KijÚ is beginning to get more comfortable in his forever home.  He will now sleep out in the middle of the living room floor instead of hiding all day under the dining room table, and he is also no longer too shy to walk past us to go in or out the back door.  There are a few times he needs some herding to come back inside, but usually he follows Moonlight and doesn't mind if Jack or I am standing at the door waiting.

On the leash, he is such a little gentleman.  Granted, he won't walk loose leash yet, but when I stop, he sits.  He also sits automatically at corners.  He also recognizes what the leash means, and he heads straight to the front door and sits to wait to be leashed up.  When we get home, he sits and waits to be unleashed and picked up for cuddling.  He prefers cuddling with Jack, but I'm hoping to do a lot more of that over the summer.

He still won't take food readily from my hand, so we haven't begun any formal training.  It's all been "trainable moments" as we can do them.  There is still a lot of feral fear in him, but he is coming around.

And oh, how he and Moonlight love each other!  He'll pick up a squeakie and shove it into Moonlight's face until she takes the other end.  Then they tussle and Moonlight lets him take it from her.  She rolls to her side, and he mouths her ankles, her ears, her tail.  And vice versa!  They are such a joy to watch!

We're so glad to have him here.

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Re: KijÚ Coming Along
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 4:47pm

MAJOR breakthroughs today.  While walking the dogs, I noticed the leash tangled around KijÚ's paw.  I carefully came closer to untangle him, and he didn't flinch or retreat.  He stood very calmly and let me handle his paw, and even when he was freed, he didn't back away.  Then at home, he was lying on the living room floor, and when I got up to go to the front door, he also got up, but he didn't leave the room.  He just stood there watching me.

These are two major changes in his behavior that I think indicate that he's learning to trust me.  I'm confident we'll soon be able to do some deeper training!

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Re: KijÚ Coming Along
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 10:12am

Hi Ef,

I am reading ofcourse your story about Lt Kije. I am so
happy for him that he found a new home with you, Jack