Lion Cut (Read 4922 times)
Yvonne

There is no dog as beautiful
as a Chow Chow

Hendersonville, TN
Lion Cut
Apr 10th, 2011 at 11:54pm

Hi everyone, I have a question: 
What can you tell me about the "lion cut" on my big guy, Zion?  He's nearly 90 pounds and he's the fullest chow.  We're in Tennessee and he is so uncomfortable in the hot months.  So I've considered this.  I would keep the short part at least an inch or two long, but I am concerned if his coat would grow back in right.  Any input?  Is this a gigantic 'no no'?  What do you think?
Here's a pic of my beautiful boy.   Smiley
Yvonne  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Lion_Dog

I Love Chows!

Re: Lion Cut
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 1:20am

Hi Yvonne,

I wouldn't give your Zion a "lion cut".  the fur never grows back right.  There use to be a chow in my neighbourhood that was always shaved during the summer and her fur never looked right.  I think the fur protects the dog...if you shave him, he'll get sun burned!  What i do for my chow is have the groomers shave her belly, and a bit of her chin (because she's a mop when she drinks water)  Keep Zion in the house at peak times (like, noon to 5pm) when it's really hot outside.  in the summer time i let my cocoa out at 6am, and by 11am she's back in the house.  she just lays on the tile floor where it's nice and cool.  if she needs to go for a pee or a poop, she will bark and let me know. she'll run out quickly to do her thing and run right back inside.  then, at 8pm i'll take her out for her evening walk.  it doesn't get really hot here where i live (vancouver) but then again, i don't have a fur coat like a chow.  some times i wish i had air conditioning...but it's been 3yrs since i had cocoa and she's been ok.  i think Zion will do fine if he's inside. 

Lisa

IP Logged

Yvonne

There is no dog as beautiful
as a Chow Chow

Hendersonville, TN
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 5:45am

Thanks for your reply Lisa!  Zion spends most of his summer in the house near a fan or air conditioning duct.   Wink  I just wanted him to be more comfortable so he could romp with his buddies at doggie park for more than a few minutes without getting so hot, you know?  I, too, shave his tummy  in the summer.  And he, also, is a "mop"  Tongue when he drinks water, so I trim his chin too.   Smiley  OK then, the main thing I was concerned about IS a problem! (namely, it growing out badly).  I'll never risk that.  He's too beautiful!   Undecided  That would be a crying shame.  Cry

IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2011 at 9:39pm

I have had to shave one of my chows for years!  We live on the St. Lawrence and he's in the water daily, so at one point his coat never dried out and started to grow a fungus, so we decided to shave him -  but he is an isolated situation.

I can't say I ever noticed that he coat didn't grow back properly. To this day it does, but what I can tell you is that if you have your chow, especially in a hotter area like TN, you would have to keep in in a t-shirt all the time, because their skin is not able to handle the UV light from the sun.

Normally the skin is protected by fur. When you remove that, you remove this important protection, so you are trading off one situation for another.  There's really not much you can do. Chows are basically Nordic dogs meant for colder climates, but their coats are very important .

What is effective is to have the undercoat removed.  I lived in Florida for a while and removing the undercoat really helped tremendously - and it can really make a big difference too.  I never shaved my chows when I was there, I don't believe in it to tell you the truth, but he too, basically had to spend his time in air conditioning.  We walked our dogs in the early morning and in the evening.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print