Blue Tongue Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The best dog food brands? (Read 13939 times)
Khristiann

Yunna and Yoshi

The best dog food brands?
Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:15pm

Hello to all fellow Chowists...I just wanna ask you guys what brand of dog food do you feed on your beloved Chows. I just wanna add that I have changed my brand from Breeder's Choice to Solid Gold brand that has bison on its menu (i did consulted my vet before i made the swithch). If any of you guys can contribute on this matter coz' i want to have my boys the best (im sure we all do) the best there is. I was told by my friend that bison has a good effect on the coats of chows (he uses the Solid Gold which has bison on its menu) any help.......... Smiley

Khristiann

Xtian's Petshop

IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Re: The best dog food brands?
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:59pm

There are several websites devoted to rating and ranking dog foods. There is so much controversy now over dogs foods to begin with. What you need to remember is that commercial dog food, no matter what brand, no matter what type or cost, is a processed food made from waste products.

And to all those die hards out there who are heavily into holistic foods, unless the bag or can clearly says "Fit For Human Consumption", it is STILL the "waste-to-profit', industry. While the quality may be better than the cheap brands, it's still re-cycled, processed foods.

You can check out the information at;

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

and an excellent link that explores the entire industry is available at
http://www.dogfoodproject.com

IP Logged

Gurkan

Once chow - always chow!

Härnösand, Sweden
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:29pm

I feed my chows a Swedish brand called Doggy, so I guess this isn't much of help for you...

WWW 287065334  
IP Logged

Khristiann

Yunna and Yoshi

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 3:07am

Merlin wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:59pm:
There are several websites devoted to rating and ranking dog foods. There is so much controversy now over dogs foods to begin with. What you need to remember is that commercial dog food, no matter what brand, no matter what type or cost, is a processed food made from waste products.

And to all those die hards out there who are heavily into holistic foods, unless the bag or can clearly says "Fit For Human Consumption", it is STILL the "waste-to-profit', industry. While the quality may be better than the cheap brands, it's still re-cycled, processed foods.

You can check out the information at;

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

and an excellent link that explores the entire industry is available at
http://www.dogfoodproject.com

Thanks Merlin, if I may ask what kind of food do you feed to your Chow. Thanks anyways for the info.......

Khristiann  Smiley

Xtian's Petshop

IP Logged

Khristiann

Yunna and Yoshi

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 3:10am

Gurkan wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:29pm:
I feed my chows a Swedish brand called
Doggy, so I guess this isn't much of help for you...

Thanks Gurkan, I guess we dont have that brand here in the Philippines thanks for sharing though  Smiley

Xtian's Petshop

IP Logged

Lion_Dog

I Love Chows!

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:43am

hi khristiann,

i feed cocoa solid gold. she eats the bison one...it's called wolf king.  i also fed my last chow solid gold, but she ate the beef and barley formula.  i didn't feed cocoa the beef formula because every now and then they have a problem shipping it into canada!  they said it has to do with the mad cow disease. Solid gold is good.  i also feed raw.  either Red Dog, blue Kat brand, and Natural Instincts. i don't know what's wrong with my pets, they are all very picky! cocoa will NEVER finish her meal in one day.  i timed her last week how long it took her to eat her kibble and it took 8mins (and she didn't even finish it!) and 3 days ago i fed her raw salmon.  she's still working on it today! she ate 1/2 of it for lunch, and i'm going to give her the other half for dinner.  it's only 500g (one pound) of raw which is normal amount for her weight.  (she's 52lbs)

Gurkan,
haha, i like the name of the dog food you feed your chows. Doggy. sounds cute Smiley

IP Logged

Khristiann

Yunna and Yoshi

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 1:55pm

Lion_Dog wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:43am:
hi khristiann,

i feed cocoa solid gold. she eats the bison one...it's called wolf king.  i also fed my last chow solid gold, but she ate the beef and barley formula.  i didn't feed cocoa the beef formula because every now and then they have a problem shipping it into canada!  they said it has to do with the mad cow disease. Solid gold is good.  i also feed raw.  either Red Dog, blue Kat brand, and Natural Instincts. i don't know what's wrong with my pets, they are all very picky! cocoa will NEVER finish her meal in one day.  i timed her last week how long it took her to eat her kibble and it took 8mins (and she didn't even finish it!) and 3 days ago i fed her raw salmon.  she's still working on it today! she ate 1/2 of it for lunch, and i'm going to give her the other half for dinner.  it's only 500g (one pound) of raw which is normal amount for her weight.  (she's 52lbs)

Gurkan,
haha, i like the name of the dog food you feed your chows. Doggy. sounds cute Smiley 

Thanks for sharing your expirience on dog food brands Liondog. Wow tou do feed a variety of food to your Chow which is good and healthy too!!! Your Chow sure is heavy!!!
Sorry to hear that they are picky eaters, we use the same brand Liondog I prefer the Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit brand which has bison meat on it my friend who is in to showing Chows use this brand for a long time now, and his Chows were great nice plush coats (shiny too) plus thier bodies looks heavier. He's been using this brand for quite some time now and never had prob with his Chows, I am planning on using the Sea weed (i dont know whats the exact name of it) for thier vitamins cause he uses it too...before I used to feed my Chows Breeders Choice Beef puppy but to my surprise they didnt like it that much. I then tried Eukanuba Lamb and rice and they didnt like it too...(my vet said that not all dogs like the lamb) I did this all of course with the help of my vet and my friend.

Thanks Liondog hope to hear from you soon  Smiley

I really love this site makes me feel home...thanks guys

Nice name of brand you feed to your dog Gurkan...cute  Cheesy

Xtian's Petshop

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:44pm

Dear Chow Friends,

Sorry that I have to interfere here in the discussion about 'The best dog food brands'.
This forum is avoiding as much as possible commercial activities. Mentioning trade marks and/or brand names should be avoided.

There is nothing against it to discuss about nutrional aspects, food substances, additives,likes and dislikes, but no brand names.

So this topic will be locked!

Peter

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2011 at 5:40pm by DutchChow »  

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print