Blue Tongue Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
chain or leather choker (Read 12308 times)
chowlove
Ex Member

chain or leather choker
Nov 2nd, 2010 at 5:49pm

Ive been hearing different stories about chokers and i was wondering, what do to. I was told by a friend NOT to get a chocker at all. Then the pet store says a leather choker is better. Do any of you use chokers ? if so whitch ones ?

IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Re: chain or leather choker
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 6:02pm

Hi why using a choker, I quess that's a kind of collar witch
can choke the dog. I use for Bram my young Chowboy a
nylon collar, same material like safetybelts in a car. You
close is with clicksystem. I have never used in all the 46
years I have Chows now a chain or choker. Why should I,
you have to learn your dog to walk without pulling on the
leash without those horrible things.

Greetings from Holland, Ted

IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 6:50pm

Ted is asking the good question.
Why don't you teach your dog how to walk properly on a leash first?

A choker is a tool that should never be used with uneducated hands. This is a tool for a professional, and a choker whether it is leather or nylon can permanently hurt a dog if it is not used properly.

If you don't know how to train your dog to walk, it's ok.  Lots of people don't.  Why don't you consider taking your dog to school?
That way you will both learn.

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 7:47pm

I have to agree, ChowLove, that a choker is not a collar to be used on most dogs, but especially on chows because they tend to be a little independent, and most independent dogs won't respond to a choker collar--they'd rather choke!

I also agree with Merlin that it's a VERY VERY good idea to enroll in a training class so you and your dog both learn the proper way to walk, and you learn how to train your dog to do the most important behaviors.  You also learn a lot about dog behavior and how easy it is to misinterpret the signs your dog gives.  You can Google to find dog trainers near you, and their websites will tell you what kind of training they do.  I recommend positive reinforcement or marker training.

As for collars, many here use a rolled-leather collar because it doesn't pull on the chow's coat, but I use a regular leather collar myself.  I brush Moonlight enough that it doesn't seem to bother her beautiful mane.  It should be a buckle collar that fits snugly enough not to slide over the chow's head.

If your chow doesn't walk nicely by your side, but tends to pull the leash or "drop anchor" and not budge, you really should sign up with some training classes to make your life a lot easier!

good luck!

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 8:46pm

i did inroll her and they told me to get a chocker because shes too hyper in classes. I dont agree to them either. When i walk her shes at my feet and doesnt tugg or anything. But when she sees the other dogs at school, its a different story Wink

IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:25pm

I'm sure that somewhere in this school they have a choker or even a simple leash can double as a choke device in a pinch.

Tell them to demonstrate to you that this will make a difference in her training.  I'm sure they can put one on her with you standing right there and show to you that you really need one to control your dog. ANY school can do this for you if they really believe that you need one.

Also, they should have also told you which type of choker to buy. Didn't they? If not ask them.

I'm very surprised because most schools that work with flat collars never recommend chokers to people without having first given them a demonstration.

Plenty of dogs get hyper in classes and this is usually not the normal response to dealing with it.

IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:30pm

well she has school tonight and yes i will ask them why, and to show me. Ive used chokers on my labs, worked great. Tongue

IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:31pm

Chows are not labs and if you have experience with chokers,  then why are you even asking what type to buy?

IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:55pm

i have experiance with lobs, rots, and akitas...not chow chowsim still learning

IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:57pm

I can see that people on this forum arent very nice and social, thats sad Sad

IP Logged

Lion_Dog

I Love Chows!

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 1:00am

hi chowlove

with my first chow i used a choke collar when she was 5months old because the class she was in said i had to get it.  after the class ended i stopped because the choke chain turned her neck all red! Sad  can  imagine! a thick fluffy coated chow with a neck red from the choke collar.  so, i got her a collar that was nylon but it had a bit of chain on the end.  i think they call it a martingale?   my current chow, i don't use any thing with a chain.  (all chows are different)  i just use a rolled leather collar.  she doesn't pull on her walks.  how i trained her not to pull was to do a quick jerk of the leash on the side to snap her out and she learned by the 2nd yank not to pull.  Smiley  (i learned that from watching the dog whisper) try it, and see if your chow responds. 

IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 2:23pm

thanks lion dog i will try the leather one Smiley its nice to see some social people here  Wink

IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 9:41pm

I can assure you it has nothing to do with being anti - social.

The people in this forum and very honest, kind and caring people.  They don't come to this forum and insult people's intelligence with unbelievable stories.

You come in here the same day that some stupid moron in another group happens to need papers for her BYB chow,  and you pretend that you know nothing about it by giving us some ridiculous story about wanting to show your dog.

You come in here saying that you need to know what type of choker to use, yet you are working with a trainer, and everyone  knows that any trainer will tell you and teach you to use a metal one and they'll even tell you why to use the metal one.

You keep asking for someone to refer you to an adoption agency, you full well know that I'm associated with one and just want to see me put it in print for some reason that I really don't care to know about.

So I think the problem here is that you think we're stupid. We are not stupid. 

This forum has wonderful, intelligent and honest people here.

You didn't even have the common courtesy of introducing yourself to everyone.

This place doesn't need people who come here with a specific, self serving  agenda based on dis-honesty.

( and I'm entitled to my opinion)
I don't take kindly having my intelligence insulted.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Unlike other chow forums that soley exist for Google clicks, this particular forum strongly advocates responsible pet ownership and absolutely advocates buying from Breeders of Merit and the re-homing of chows.

You don't build quality relationships with people or on forums based on lies and deceit.

IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 1:09am

well im sorry if you think that im not beeing honest, as for the other forum, i would love to know whitch one it is because im only on this one. I had no idea you had a resue, and no im not testing your intellegence. as for the trainer, he said it was my choice. I just hope that you finally see that im not the person your thinking of Smiley

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 5:31pm

Quote:
I can see that people on this forum arent very nice and social, thats sad Sad

ChowLove,

Why are you making that statement?
I can assure you that most members on this forum have such not in mind and are decent people, with respect for others and above all are true ChowLovers...
Answers may not always appear being nice....but on the other hand true.

When I'm observing that responses or any publication are in-correct, rude and/or abusive and so on, I will interfere.

In properly training there is no need for whatever choker....

You need to win the Chow's heart not by pain or enforcing/surpressing...but simply by showing respect, love and devotion....and having patience.....

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print