HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How to (Read 17357 times)
chowlove
Ex Member

How to
Nov 1st, 2010 at 4:02pm

How do i register my dog ??? I dotn have the papers for her ???? I know shes purebred

IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Re: How to
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 7:44pm

Welcome! Welcome! 

A new chow member here and looking for papers too! Darn,  what a coincidence! The same thing happened to someone else on another board too!!  What a surprise!
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

For instance, in Canada, the breeder of the dog has to register your dog for you. Normally this is done before you purchase your dog, by your breeder and not after, in fact under the CKC rules, they must supply you with the registration papers at your time of purchase ( if the chow is a registered purebred of course).

Didn't you get your papers when you bought the dog? Gee, maybe the breeder forgot to give them to you?

Gee? what will you do??? Tongue

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2010 at 9:05pm by Merlin »  
IP Logged

Seal

Why rough when smooth
is an option

Pieterburen, Netherlands
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 9:07pm

I guess everywhere in the world it is the breeder who registers, not the owner.

Here in Holland the breeder has first to register the mating and within ten days after the the litter is born he registers the puppies.
When the puppies are about 5-6 weeks old a staff member of the Kennel Club visits the breeder and gives the puppies a chip.
After that the production of the pedigree papers for these puppies can start.
At the time the puppies leave the breeder or shortly after that moment the pedigrees are issued and can be given to the new owners.
As the finalising step the breeder registers the puppies in name of the new owner.
No other action is requested of the puppy buyer than to sign the ownership registration form when he comes to fetch the puppy.

Only when a dog is imported one more step is needed.
Then the owner should request the Dutch Kennel Club to register the import in the Dutch pedigree book.
The pedigree from abroad should be submitted. The pedigree itself is checked (is it issued by a FCI member, or AKC, CKC or The Kennel Club in UK?)
A staff member of the Dutch Kennel Club will visit the dog to check if the chip code in the dog and on the pedigree match.
When everything is all right, the pedigree will be returned with the new Dutch NHSB number on it, accompanied by a Dutch ownership registration form.

I suppose the procedure will not be too different in other countries.

So when you are not sure about the pedigree and the registration: best ask the breeder, he or she must know.

Kind regards,
Janneke
IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 10:36pm

Actually I have a 2 yrs old female, and i got her from some guy who didnt want it anymore, I had the DNA testing done, and in fact she is a purebred, but i would love to enter her in a show, which i cant since she has no papers. Merlin, you say someone else has that probleme, can you find out if they found out how to register the dog ?? Ive been on this forum for a few months now Smiley

IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 11:36pm

You can't.

You need to have this dog registered by the breeder. If you don't know who the breeder is, then go back to the person you got the dog from and ask him where he got the dog from, then get in touch with the breeder. 

Chances are good he's not from a good breeder because he would have had to take it back to the original breeder if he couldn't keep it anyways and a good breeder would have taken out a spay/neuter contract with the person to begin with.

Just because you think she's a purebred doesn't mean she has the qualities to be in the showring either and I'm sure everyone will tell you that.  Purebred doesn't mean she's within the "standard".

I have a purebred male here. He has his papers, but he weighs over 100 lbs., so he's OUT of the standard, so why am I going to continue showing him, or using him as a stud? He's too big. It's no good.

My goodness for someone who's been here since September you took a long time to say hi? Tongue

IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 12:58am

Yes indeed it took me a while LOL Just didnt have the time. As for the dogs breeder i dont know who they are, all i know is that the DNA resaults came back purebred....can i still register the dog with DNA ?? Sad

IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 2:31am

Three conversations and two different people just told you NO you can't and you're still asking ??????

No you can't register your dog.

Oh we'd all love to see your DNA test by the way.
Why don't you post it here Smiley

IP Logged

Gurkan

Once chow - always chow!

Härnösand, Sweden
Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:04am

Is it really possible to DNA test to see if a dog is a purebred chow??

At least it's not possible in Sweden, where I live... A registration certificate is the proof of a pure bred. It's the stud book that verfies the breed, not DNA or genetics.

WWW 287065334  
IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:45am

This  person has a miraculous DNA test that can tell if chows are pure !! Isn't that amazing?? She has the only DNA test in the world that can tell if her chow is pure or not. ... so advanced... so advanced.... she must be from Quebec.. ( I hear they are just so advanced there)... so fortunate to be in an area where they have so much technology.

We only have the DNA kind that tells if one chow is related to another.... or the kind that says what dogs are made up of....  so that's why I'm just SO excited to see her NEW DNA test here.   Shocked

I can't wait!  I just can't wait!!!

IP Logged

Seal

Why rough when smooth
is an option

Pieterburen, Netherlands
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 12:32pm

Quote:
Yes indeed it took me a while LOL Just didnt have the time. As for the dogs breeder i dont know who they are, all i know is that the DNA resaults came back purebred....can i still register the dog with DNA ?? Sad

Yes, please, explain: why did you spend money on this DNA profile? I am most curious to hear the ratio behind this.

The only thing I can think about when it might make sense is that the dog was DNA profiled earlier and that profile is linked to an existing pedigree which you know about, I mean you know the name of the dog and the details of parents and breeder, maybe even the pedigree number.
But the pedigree paper itself is lost or withheld.

So this DNA test, done by the new owner, is meant to prove the identity of the particular dog:these two DNA profiles should be identical.

But I have never heard from a DNA test from which one can read:
a) the breed
b) the parents
c) the name of the dog.
So how could a pedigree be (re)issued on basis of a DNA test?

Thank for an explanation!

Kind regards,
Janneke
IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 2:21pm

Why are you being SO rude ?? Actually the DNA tests reveal if your dog is mixed or not, and yes its available everywhere in canada and the US the test costs 900$. And yes I have the papers from the DNA testing, No im not in Quebec, Im actually in cornwall ontario. Please dont be rude with me, Im just trying to figure out what to do, Im also thinking of getting an other chow but im still looking to see who is the best breeder around here

IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 2:27pm

IP Logged

Seal

Why rough when smooth
is an option

Pieterburen, Netherlands
Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 3:09pm

Quote:
Actually the DNA tests reveal if your dog is mixed or not, and yes its available everywhere in canada and the US the test costs 900$. And yes I have the papers from the DNA testing

Interesting info, wow, what a market!
Now I understand: you know you have a dog who is for 75% or more a Chow.
This however says nothing about a pedigree. That is a completely different chapter.

Your dog can very well be bred by a puppymill or backyard breeder out of unregistered 'Chows'.

But why is this such an important subject?
You can love your dog as much with as without pedigree!

Kind regards,
Janneke
IP Logged

Merlin

Chow Baby!

Ontario , Canada
Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 3:16pm

Seal, I guess people in Cornwall don't enjoy our humour. Grin Grin Grin

Oh well Chowlove. It's very easy. If you want to know a good breeder in your area call up Chow Canada. I'm sure they will happily tell you who their members are... or better still, since you only want a pet, why don't you adopt a chow instead. There are P L E N T Y looking for homes.

Quote:
But why is this such an important subject?

That's easy Seal.. Because someone went and put their foot in their mouth on another forum and now is trying to get papers for their chow mix.

IP Logged

chowlove
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 3:16pm

well i honestly dont care if its from a puppy mill, but she is just sooo pretty that i wanted to enrol her in contests, but its ok, ill just get an other chow to do that, as for my BABY she is wonderfull loving and nice (a little lazy though) LOL do you know where i could get a nice registered chow ?? Im looking around and so far I havent found anything. I saw 2 different breeders but i was a little worried because the parents were not very socialable.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print