Blue Tongue Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Urgent  memo to all chowists worldwide (Read 17280 times)
DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Re: Urgent  memo to all chowists worldwide
Reply #15 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:16pm

And once again the petition link!
Petition On Line//Thread on Breed Health Plans

Please read carefully what it is all about before you (digitally) sign and it is preferred to give suitable constructive comments too!!

In the meantime I hope that Clubs and other (Chow) authorities (judges, etc) are acting too!
They could write directly to The Kennel Club and show concern.

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

teddy97

I Love Chows!

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 9:24pm

As someone who has been owned by chows for almost twenty years. I think the proposed changes will destroy our breed. Our club constitution says we shall protect and promote the chow. Now is the time to protect. But from a Kennel Club that is jumping throught hoops for the media, just to say we are actively doing something before Crufts.
I believe this change was deliberitly timed for the christmas period, so chowist would be doing other things rather than worrying about the chow breed standard.
Earlier this year the K C published a new code of ethics, this in its self sent a stark message to breed clubs. As a member felt it was sign or else we would not have a club to worry about. Will it be the same if we don't accept the new standard?
For a number of years now, I have attended seminars, taken exams & assessed regarding my  judging ability. Sadly I  must ask, have I wasted my time, should I have went to vet school.
One thing I do agree with the K C on, we all want healthy chows wither in the ring or not. But may be someone out there can explain to me. If the K C proposal go through, what will happen to the front movement?
I believe there has been a study on the stilted movement. Was this published any where or can it be obtained on the net?

teddy97's other half. chow for now.

IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 11:03pm

Hello Teddy97's other half Grin,

I quess you mean a study done in Denmark , a couple of years ago.
The title is, The Ligament Problem in Chow Chow,
                One Step forward, one back.
By Mai Brit Torngren,DVM and Jens Arnberg,DVN in Denmark.

Greetings from Holland, Ted and Lynne

IP Logged

teddy97

I Love Chows!

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 11:19pm

thanks for that can it be obtained anywhere maybe on the enternet ? i would like to read it  if anyone knows could you let me know please  .  teddy97 (other half} Wink Wink

IP Logged

chinarose

Chows rock!

Portland Oregon, U.S.A.
Reply #19 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 1:56am

Hi Teddy...if you PM me I can send you the report on the Danish study.

Here is a letter I just sent to my Worldchow members and want to direct my comments to Blue Tongue Talk members as well.  Because of your involvement and genuine concern regarding this breed standard proposed change, our petition is now over 1000 signatures strong!!! Thank you Peter  and BTT members for working hand and hand with me on this.  I am here for you all when you need my help as well!!

-----------------------------------

Hello my World Chow  and (Blue Tongue Talk) friends!!!!

I have to say, I have never really truly known the meaning of the word
"community" until  the recent days following my request for help
distributing and signing our Worldchow petition!!  The surprising element
to this whole scenario is that my experience with a REAL community did not
happen in my home town...it happened ONLINE!!

There are no words to describe how proud I am of our World Chow members  as
well as an overwhelming majority of Chow breeders , fanciers and
enthusiasts worldwide,  in response to this call for action regarding the
proposed UK KC standard changes.

When I said the petition "needs to be viral to be effective" , boy you all
are taking me seriously!!!!  Watching the signatures being added onto the
petition and coming literally in WAVES .....as the word spreads from one
country to another, ...one chow club to another.  It's quite the phenomenon
I must say and I have you all to thank for helping the World Chow petition
take on a life of it's own!!! 

In case you didn't find the link to the signatures and comments, please
click this link below which can also be found at the top of the petition
you signed

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ukchow/signatures.html

Take a peek at the well thought out and intelligent comments our fellow
chowists have been leaving.  I actually  hesitated at first to put in a
comments field on the petition but in retrospect.........the comments are
the icing on the cake!!!! 

Your heartfelt words and logical conclusions in your commentary will only
help demonstrate how incredibly necessary our historical traits are to our
Chow Chow as well as to the caretakers of the breed.  We all need to
continue to strive for solid health and soundness in our breeding programs
but the proposed  changes by the UK KC are most certainly not the way to
accomplish these goals.

Please feel free to cross post this email to anyone you wish.  We are at
the time of this writing.....1,171 signatures strong!!!!  A heartfelt thank
you to each and every one of you.

Please  continue to spread the word and this link on World Chow which
describes our goals with a link to our petition.  We have through
DECEMBER 23, 2008 to acquire as many signatures as possible.

We have had some wonderful comments on World Chow and I invite anyone to
participate in this Standard proposal discussion

http://worldchow.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=476

Happy Holidays and a big group hug and purple chow kisses are coming your
way!!!! I will be updating the status of any communication with UK KC and
the Standard at the World Chow topic link above as they happen.

Thank you again!!!!
Sandra Miller
World Chow founder

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend:
and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  - Groucho Marx
IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #20 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 8:45am

In this thread we are discussing about the intention of The Kennel Club (UK) to change some breed standards, including the one for the Chow Chow.
The validation (which is an interim considered standard) is as per January 1st. , 2009.
Then follows a 6 months period of where a feedback is possible.
See:
The Kennel Club ::: Breed Health Plans

Our concern is that with this new (proposed) standard for the Chow the typical characteristics (like the 'stilt') are killed.

But why The Kennel Club (UK)?
The reason:
The Chow breed standard is known in the FCI under code: FCI number 205
Country of origin for the breed: China
Country of patronage: United Kingdom
So The Kennel Club (UK) is here in the lead!!

Sandra Miller (World Chow forum) has taken an initiative for a petition, on which you are requested to sign. Please ensure yourself about the content before signing and any constructive argument/comment is welcome!! That should be the added value.
Petition

Some of our BTT friends came up with questions and background about the Patella and the Danish report.
Vanessa Nicolau (Kimekai Chow Chows, South Africa) contacted me and provided me the link to be published on BTT.
The PDF document is on Lene's Homepage (Lene & Urban - Kennel Long Feng).

The Ligament Problem In Chow Chow - One Step Forward, One Back. By Mai Brit Torngren, DVM and Jens Arnbjerg, DVN in Denmark.

Thank you Vanessa and Lene for providing this important link/info.

As I said in previous responses: Signing the petition is one thing, but more organized through Clubs, etc., by responding directly to The Kennel Club (UK) is the other way.

All your input on and through our BTT forum is welcomed too, as usual!

Peter

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2008 at 7:43pm by DutchChow »  

--
DutchChow
IP Logged

teddy97

I Love Chows!

Reply #21 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 10:36pm

thank you ted and lynne recived your e-mail it does make very interesting  reading maybe the kennel club needs a copy  Wink Wink big kisses from teddy97 Kiss Kiss
    we wish you all a happy christmas

IP Logged

teddy97

I Love Chows!

Reply #22 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 11:05pm

abig thank you [sandra] chinarose. ted and lynne e-mailed me the info also we would like to say a big thank you  to you for all your help and hard work in trying to preserve this wonderful breed .it makes me feel ashamed sometimes to be conected to the english kc .my husband has just asked a ques; would the english kc smash a ming vase just because someone said they did'nt like the shape of it .that is what they are trying to do with our chows  Angry Angry
so thank you again and big kisses from teddy97 and my other half  Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

chinarose

Chows rock!

Portland Oregon, U.S.A.
Reply #23 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 11:32pm

Teddy96 you are most welcome.  I just read your point about front movement possibly being affected by changing the rear.  This most certainly will be the result as well as possibly affecting elbows and spines.  The UK KC has no idea the  tsunami of negative effects these proposed changes will release on our breed!

The Study is sitting right in front of me printed out to go into the packet Teddy96, with a number of other good links to websites , utube documentaries on ACL's etc.

Also I hope you don't mind Peter but I thought this was important...I don't know how many of your members are CCCI members too, but I really need to relay this message to CCCI members via as many outlets as I can. 

AN IMPORTANT NOTICE TO CCCI MEMBERS: (Chow Chow Club Inc....the U.S. parent club)

This petition unfortunately did not get emailed out to the CCCI MEMBERSHIP directly because we cannot legally use  the membership mailing list for non CCCI approved mailings.

If you have friends who are CCCI members and you feel they may not know about the petition, there is still time to drop them a quick email and ask members to spread the word as well.  Not all CCCI members belong to online groups  and forums,where most of the petition information has been circulating.

Thank you so very  much. We still have time to reach as many CCCI members as possible. Can you believe it...1400 signatures so far as of 2:30 PST  !!!  Thank you all!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ukchow/signatures.html

DIRECT LINK TO THE PETITION
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ukchow/index.html

Sandra

IP Logged

ursel

I love my Sini and all
Chows!

Germany
Reply #24 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 7:48pm

I signed the petition, of course I did... and informed a few members of the two German clubs: ACC (Allgemeiner Chow-Chow-Club e.V.) and CCiD (Chow-Chow-Club in Deutschland e.V.).

Ursel

IP Logged

chinarose

Chows rock!

Portland Oregon, U.S.A.
Reply #25 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 9:17pm

Ursel, thank you SO very very much!!!! I am leaving the petition open until 12/30/08 for signatures. I just send what we had so far as a hard copy to the UK KC via Fed Ex but will update with an email follow up just before the 30th deadline.  Keep spreading the word.

Things have been so tense this last week and I just needed to lighten up a bit. I think you all will get a good chuckle out of my blog post announcing the FED EX petition shipment going out today.  Please come by and take a peek...we all could use a lighter heart for the Holidays.

CLICK HERE TO READ TODAYS ANNOUNCEMENT
http://graffitigossip.com/2008/12/neither-rain-nor-snow-nor-sleetthe-petition-mu...

BIG HUGS and THANK YOU!!
Sandra

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #26 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:20am

In December 2008 Sandra Miller started an action in order to oppose against the intended change on the breed standard of the Chow Chow.
The country of patronage (of the Chow Chow standard) is the UK and kept by The Kennel Club UK.

Main concern is that the characteristic - on which the Chow is so unique - will be affected.

It is not clear how the situation is and what protests are on the table of the KennelClub and if they take all the (protest) actions serious. We are now in a so called 'interim period' and it is aimed to have the 'new' standard is implemented from June 2009 on.

I wonder also what the Chow Chow Breed Clubs in the UK are currently having in their files on actions.
On their websites nothing is found on that (so far I could see).

Anyway:
Here is the announcement of The Kennel Club:
Kennel Club Announces Healthy New Year Regulations for Pedigree Dogs

and

The Kennel Club, UK >> Chow Chow Breed Standard >> INTERIM (Breed Standard under review until June 2009)

Peter

--
DutchChow
IP Logged

chinarose

Chows rock!

Portland Oregon, U.S.A.
Reply #27 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 3:33pm

Hello Peter/All,

I have been updating on Worldchow the things I know so far but to recap, from my understanding speaking to a number of Chowists in UK, is that there is an upcoming meeting of the Breed Council.  All the UK Chow clubs will be getting together to pool their resources and documentation.  All this info will then be sent in the form of a letter from the Breed council to the UK KC before the end of the interim to plead the UK chowists case

One thing that is disheartening to me is that the new standard is already in use and will be implemented at Crufts......interestingly enough....the dogs who qualified for Crufts did so using the old standard.

Now that leaves the judges in an interesting quandry.  They have been instructed by the UK KC to severely penalized any chow/dog who's conformation deviates from the standard they are currently being judged by..even disqualifying the dog.  It makes me wonder if any dogs will even show up.  Or if they do it will be to just "see what happens" for the entertainment value.

The Rhodesian Ridgeback had "ridge" removed from the name and the standard.  Do you think any of the Rhodies who quaified for Crufts are ridgeless??? Like I said it will be very interesting to hear the results.

With this new standard in place I fear it will be very hard to reverse the process.  One thing that DID happen which is fairly insignificant but a step in the right direction is that the wordage  was slightly altered when the new standard was announced...SEE HERE .http://worldchow.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=530

I'll update on any news.  I am an advisor on a newly formed committee at the CCCI to work on fighting any further issues like this facing our breed which unfortunately we know is inevitable.  I am hoping to convince them that as chowists around the world we need an alliance of all Chow clubs across the globe and regular communication between these clubs to accomplish anything significant. 

Our breed numbers have dramatically dropped over the years which means less breeders and club members.  Pooling our resources in my opinion is the only way to go and we need to all be on the "same page" so to speak

BTW..HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!

hugs Sandra

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print