Blue Tongue Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Urgent  memo to all chowists worldwide (Read 17278 times)
chinarose

Chows rock!

Portland Oregon, U.S.A.
Urgent  memo to all chowists worldwide
Dec 18th, 2008 at 8:50pm

Hello Chow friends.  I am the admin of World Chow forums and wanted to make an appeal to you all to take a look at a petition my international committee authored regarding the UK Chow Standard proposed changes.  We need your  help getting as many signatures and constructive comments as possible on this petition . 

This link will bring you to the letter I sent out to thousands of Chowists around the world today which explains my request better.

http://worldchow.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=476

You may have signed the petition already and I thank you from the bottom of my paws for doing so.

The deadline is December 24, 2008 to sign so time is of the essence.  For the sake of our breed , please take a moment to read what is at the link and sign if you agree.

Here is the direct link to the petition as well
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ukchow/index.html

This is the only list I belong to so please if you agree to what the petition is requesting....forward this info and the petition link to as many dog fanciers in all breeds as you can before 12/24/08

I thank you so very much
Sandra Miller
World Chow founder and Admin

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend:
and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  - Groucho Marx
IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Urgent  memo to all chowists worldwide
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 12:32am

I'm not a breeder, nor British.  I am curious about the proposed changes.  It would appear they are looking to change the nature of the hindquarters and the stilted gait.  Why would they do that?  Or why would they WANT to do that?

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 12:06pm

Please Chowlovers sign the petition, if those rules will
come, the affect will be wordwide.
What is a Chow without the stiltgate, no Chow anymore.
The breed with this characteristic appearance will be no
more Sad Cry Cry
We need the support from all of you, no matter where
you live, Ef you too !! This petition is for all Chowlovers
in the world, not only breeders.

Greetings from Ted and Lynne, with the marvelos stilted gait Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2008 at 7:54pm by Lynne »  

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:01pm

Sandra--,

Thank you for bringing up this important message about the "The Kennel Club (UK)" proposals to have (some) breed standards changed and of course, what is of our main interest, that the Chow standard might become affected.

Most important is that Clubs, Groups, etc. being active with the Chow breed make up there mind and next to making a protest also come with logic, constructive proposals (comments) in order to have a good dialogue with the intention to secure the 'characteristics' of the breed.
To my opinion an 'organized' approach is the best and next to that the support from individual Chow lovers!!!

Yes, health is the major issue here. But 'characterisics' and 'health' can go along very well.

For the record:

Home ::: The Kennel Club (UK)

The Kennel Club ::: Breed health plans issued

For the petition:
Petition - On -Line

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Lene

XaSha, Vicki, Willi, Penny,
Ah Kum, Annchi & Zhong

Enkoping - Sweden
Vast changes are coming, and not just Crufts.
Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:48pm

Now there is a petition against the proposals from the British Kennel Club.
BUT WE ONLY HAVE SHORT TIME – SO SIGN IT AND MAKE SURE THEY DON’T CHANGE THE STANDARD WITHOUT HAVING TAKEN US INTO CONSIDERATION!!!! We are the breeders and owners – they are not!

PLEASE WE URGE YOU TO TAKE THE TIME TO SIGN THIS IMPORTANT CHOW PETITION BEFORE DECEMBER 24, 2008
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ukchow/

LSH
WWW http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1436878259  
IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:13pm

Lene--,

Thank you!
I hope you don't mind I spliced your message with the Topic "Urgent Memo".

Yes, needing the 'digital' signature from all Chow Lovers on the petition!!!!!
No matter breeder, judge, fancier, lover.... It is all about Chow Chows!!

However it is even more important that those having an authority in the Chow World and all the Clubs and Groups being active with the Chow breed come up with a protest and constructive proposals.
The goal is: Health and Standard!! That has to go along....
The more 'grouped' voices from respected clubs, associations, the better....

Petition On-Line

Peter

--
DutchChow
IP Logged

Lene

Ah Kum, Annchi & Zhong

Enkoping - Sweden
Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:29pm

It's important to sign if you want the Chow breed to look like a Chow still in the future.
If this happens/goes through only US and CA will go free.
Don't let them take away our wonderful breed.
SIGN IT

With CHOWlove
Lene

LSH
IP Logged

Lene

Ah Kum, Annchi & Zhong

Enkoping - Sweden
Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:32pm

It would be wonderful if the clubs could do something PROBLEM is we only have till 24/12.
On the 1/1-09 it will go through I have official papers on that.
We don't have time - we all gotta act quickly......

sorry my page had not updated, Peter Wink
The reason for putting it there was that I think it's health related too and maybe not everybody is looking under announcements and I wanted as many as possible to see ...  Undecided

With CHOWlove
Lene

PS: I don't think that the British Kennel Club listens to anybody but BBC and those "animals-rights" people - they don't have the "guts".
But if WE all are like those people we might get through.

Asking me:
I think we should find a good american lawyer and sue them out of their socks  Roll Eyes

LSH
IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:45pm

Hi Lene--,

Okay....
Yes, it is important to act now and not wait.
On the other hand "The Kennel Club" allows an additional 6 months.
See here:
The Kennel Club ::: Breed Health Plans Issued

Individual actions are okay, but above all it is essential that Clubs act too and contact The Kennel Club directly!!!

Petition

Peter

--
DutchChow
IP Logged

chinarose

Chows rock!

Portland Oregon, U.S.A.
Reply #9 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:41am

Hello my wonderful Chow friends!!! My sincere apologies for the "post and run" the other day but  I have been inundated with emails and phone calls regarding my petition and just now got a chance to come back and answer any questions here.  Peter  you have pretty much summed it up.  We need to act now.  That 6 month grace period is kind of scary to me.  I am not counting on that  as being a real window to initiate any further dialogue or commentary with the UK KC.  They made it pretty clear that our window is from now until the 30th of December to consider any revisions to the proposed changes.

I cannot thank you all enough everywhere around this big beautiful world for your incredible support for our breed and the integrity of the Chow's ancient traits.  The well thought out comments are the icing on the cake on the petition.  These will bear a lot of weight.

I have heard from a few critics  claiming that petitions in general  are worthless and a waste of time.  Well I can assure  you all 100%, that if nothing else.....this petition has opened up many a chowists eyes.  I have a backlog of emails from breeders who were not aware of the proposed changes.  This in itself I consider a victory...even before the petition hits the mailbox of the UK KC committee on the 25th of December.

I will be emailling the final petition files on December 24th, along with links to many articles and studies to help prove our case...especially where the stilted rear and rear health issues are concerned

I will also be overnight Fed Ex'ing a hard copy to  the office with a signature confirmation to assure they receive the copy.

This will all be  backed up with a phone call before December 30th to see if we  can assist in any other way in helping the committee make their decision.

I am hopeful our petition has some kind of positive impact.  As my husband says...it can't hurt.  If we dont' achieve the results we are looking for ..........well they haven't seen the last of me...lol!  I may not be actively breeding any more but my passion for this breed is stonger than every before .

These dogs we call "Chow Chows" are  in my mind a priceless, one of a kind  Chinese antique.... and we as the breeders, caretakers and fanciers are considered the "guardians"....... responsible for keeping this rare porcelain vase we call our "breed standard" safe and unshattered.  Once the original vase is defaced or cracked it will never be the same and is irreplaceble. The thought of losing one of this breed's most distinguishing features at the push of a pen makes my heart absolutely weep.

Please, my friends, if you have not already signed the petition, take a look again and consider adding your signature alongside the rest of the chow community wishing to halt these radical standard changes.  Respectful comments are very much appreciated and kennel names we love to see as well (but optional)

CLICK HERE TO FIND THE PETITON

Big hugs and Happy Holidays!!!
Sandra Miller
http://worldchow.com

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 9:26am

Hi Sandra--, and all others--,

Thank you again for coming back on this very serious and threatening issue which is appearing as a 'sudden' dark cloud above the heads of all the Chow lovers.
Those people have chosen for a Chow with reasons. The typical characteristics: be it mentally or fysically...or both.....be it on the way 'he walks'...
Your words about the 'antiques' or 'porcelain' (Chinaware) are well reflecting about what we are talking.
The typical 'stilt'........is part of that...

On the other hand, during the years, we all became aware of health problems and questions came on responsible breeding. The broadcast of the BBC (UK) television on 'what is going on with the breeds?' started the whole thing.

Issues on patella/knee, entropion and more are known in our Chows
So we are also talking about health and inherited disorders needing to become banned based on good breeding programmes!

But now the priority is to stay alert and do our utmost to keep the current standard -in particular on the "stilt" - in tact.
Sandra, your initiative on mobilizing the Chow world is great and needs support.
Digital signing the petition by those who are concerned and know what we are talking about is needed.
That is one.
Next, I strongly believe in protests and recommendations for another 'effective' approach, through (official) Clubs and Organizations seperately.
The 'attack' (you can also say the 'defense') should come from different sources and directions.....
Even from people being in science (e.g. biology, veterinarian), judges, and so on....
Knowing it is late, but still there are options!

For the petition:

Peter
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2008 at 10:51am by DutchChow »  

--
DutchChow
IP Logged

chinarose

Chows rock!

Portland Oregon, U.S.A.
Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 8:27pm

Hello Peter and chow friends!!

I wholeheartedly agree when you say we need to attack this issue from all angles and all perspectives.  To demonstrate just one thing that can be done to enlighten not only Chow enthusiasts but other animal AND history lovers around the world.

I have a blog that is mostly centered around my travels and my endangered species fundraising called GRAFFITI GOSSIP.  I have an email list over 3000 strong who recieve those updates each time I post to the blog.

To make the blog entry interesting and not completely chow related (to hold my diverse readers interest) I posted an entry today with another more personally emotional angle to the topic.

http://graffitigossip.com/2008/12/a-crime-against-canine-historypreserve-our-anc...

If any of  you have a blog, an online journal, are a member of social networks such as Twitter, My Space, Facebook, Plaxo...etc etc......this is a golden opportunity to help at the very least raise awareness to the underlying issues which have fueled the call for all these needless changes to our breed standards.

I want to add a couple of links recently forwarded to me regarding the recent standard "revisions" of the Pekingnese.  Those folks were completely blind sided (the breeders) with no chance for defending their stance. This is precisely why we can't depend on the 6 month grace period the UK KC mentions that we would love to have...but I"m afraid we can't count on it.

http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/News/2008/Oct2008/News241008/peke.htm

http://rufflyspeaking.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/the-implications-of-the-kennel-cl...

« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2008 at 11:40pm by chinarose »  

IP Logged

Lovechows

Khan

Reply #12 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:52am

I am getting all my friends who have known all my chows from puppies to sign .
We have made a lot of friends whilst we have owned Chows.
I could never imagine ever owning any other breed.
Please everyone sign the petition.
Every chow owner needs to stick together on this or our beutiful chows that we love will be gone forever.
The are unique.
Thats why we love them.
Shirley

IP Logged

chinarose

Chows rock!

Portland Oregon, U.S.A.
Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 3:18am

Thank you VERY much Shirley!!! Every signature represents a "voice".  By making ourselves heard as breeders and fanciers we will make a difference!!!!

As of this writing we are 962 signatures strong and 20 pages on the petition!! What a sight to see.  All in 2 days time!!!  We have until the 24th so keep passing the word my friends!!!
Sandra

Big purple chow kisses!!!

IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 10:59am

Dear Sandra,

Almost 1000 signed the petition, but please Chowlovers,