Send Topic Print
Grooming woes (Read 4210 times)
Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Grooming woes
Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 1:57am

I'm curious.  Moonlight hasn't developed an undercoat yet.  When will puppies typically develop that?

I do brush her every day, but she doesn't like it at all.  I'm trying to be gentle and friendly and rewarding, but she still doesn't like it.  What's the secret of making grooming an act of love for a chow?   Huh Huh

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 6:12pm

9 months later, and I'd never have believed it, but when I brush Moonlight now, she lies peacefully on her side, rolls on her back for a belly brush, and sometimes even falls asleep. 

I have started a training method for Shadow. I am teaching him to lie down on command, and then I hold up a treat and the brush and say "Brush."  I let him lick the treat in my hand while I brush him.  I want him to associate the brush positively.  I let him get up and walk away.  Then I take a treat, make him sit and lie down again near me, and repeat "Brush."  We haven't gotten very far yet.  I barely got his beard clean last night, and nowhere near the rest of his coat, but one step at a time.  I will be persistent, and hopefully he won't!

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 6:19pm

Hi Ef--,

Sounds good!!
Take your time and be persistent and consequent.
Make a game out of it.....with lots of little treats....
Shadow!!! "Brush!"

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Yvonne

There is no dog as beautiful
as a Chow Chow

Hendersonville, TN
Reply #18 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 7:02pm

I don't if I know any secret, but I know that my Zion hated being brushed too.  Belle loves it though, so what I did, which has worked, was to brush Belle in front of Zion, and really make a big fuss over her, with treats and hugs and love.  Zion eventually caught on that this was 'special time', and now he eagerly accepts his turn.  He still has a very short patience level though, so I brush him out in 2 or 3 sessions.  I never brush him longer than he seems to be liking it though.  I think a lot of it is just that puppies don't want to hold still.  As with everything having to do with Chow Chows; patience, and then more patience!   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 6:05am

I have been very lucky with my 2 girls as they both love to be groomed!  Mika literally tries to jump up on the grooming table herself and she will lie down and relax while she's been groomed!  She doesn't mind how long it takes!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Suki also loves being groomed and although she doesn't lie down on the table, she wags her tail the whole time I'm combing her!!  Grin Grin

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Yvonne

There is no dog as beautiful
as a Chow Chow

Hendersonville, TN
Reply #20 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 7:30am

Today I had a first happen-a little off the subject, but not totally.  Belle gave me the slip and ran off to the creek for fun and games for about a half hour.  When she returned (oh so casually, like "oh, hi, what's up?")  Huh She was covered in stickers, mud, sticks, bugs... she was a disaster!  Anyway, I walked with her into the house and drug her upstairs to the bathroom.  My dog, who absolutely hates water, hopped into the tub!!  I was speechless.  Shocked but I kept real cool, like "of course you hopped in the tub!"  So I bathed her real good, which, of course, took me quite a long time.  I got out all the stickers with a steel comb, one by one.  And all the while, Belle stood there as patient as a monk.  Huh  She's all brushed out and nice again now, and, of course, as Zion watched, he became jealous and lay down, almost between Belle and I, for his turn.  Wink  LOL

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print