Send Topic Print
Grooming woes (Read 4212 times)
Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Grooming woes
Oct 4th, 2008 at 10:27pm

Does anyone else have problems grooming your chowdren?  I have a chow book that tells me my little chowlet will love daily grooming so much, she'll fall sound asleep while I lazily brush her. HA.   Roll Eyes

Shadow snarls the whole time I brush him.  His snarls sound absolutely scary, and if I actually get near a matted felt section, he will bite the brush or put his mouth around my wrist (not biting, but threatening).  Today's grooming session was so vocal I was tempted to ask Jack to video it.  He made his most vicious threats today.  I hate to get him all riled up like that, but he really smelled doggy, and he needs a thorough grooming so badly!  His belly and chest are nothing but knots, thanks to Jack who just loves to give him belly rubs at least three times a day.

I don't have a grooming table.  I've heard that Petco will allow people to rent a grooming table to groom dogs yourself, and I thought of looking into that, but I didn't want to put him in public and make him more agitated on a strange surface with the collar tied up. 

But is that the secret to easier grooming?  to have the dog in a precarious place so he won't be tempted to run off?  Frankly, I'm sure Shadow would have no qualms about jumping off an elevated table because he tries to do it at the vet's, and if he were tied to a collar loop, he'd snap his own neck.

And now Moonlight -- we called her the greased piglet! -- she manages to wiggle her way out of any hold on her so grooming is done on the run, which I don't think is the best way to handle it!  I'm still able to put her up on a table, but she won't hold still, and she'll fall off and really get hurt if I'm not careful.

I've seen the famous video of Einstein's chow running away from a grooming.  I'm sort of in the same position.

How do you all handle grooming your dogs yourself?

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Tryggvi

The Icelandic pioneers

Iceland
Re: Grooming woes
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 6:54am

As we are keaping Am. cockers we do have a grooming table but we never use it for the chows unless when we dry them after baths. We find the best way is to comb them on the floor. They run when they see the comb but dont seem to object to the actual brushing. I get the feeling they accept the brushing but think it is silly and dont understand why we want to bother with this.

Tryggvi and
Boss N Melaine
IP Logged

MARGARITA

I Love Chows!

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 1:10pm

Hi, Ef! I brush and comb the chowdren's coat on the floor too. I usually have the grooming tools in my pocket and I sit beside them patting them, rubbing their chins or bellies and the I start brushing and combing away. Smiley

Our chows don't like being put on top of tables either and attempt to jump off too so I do it wherever they feel comfortable.

My Frost starts to snore in the middle of my combing him. I just gently turn him halfway when it's time to brush the other side of his body. Wink

He snarls a bit when I start trimming his nails. I can't do this alone. I ask someone to carry and hug him for me from the back and I start trimming facing him. When he tries to bite (not biting but threatening also), I make him bite the tool which I use and shout the command "NO!". I do this repeatedly and after awhile he relaxes.

Oh! I also am generous with praises for them telling them what a good boy or girl and how more handsome and beautiful they are and how much Mommy loves them more each day for being so behaved.

I hope it works out for you  Smiley

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 11:48pm

I'm also very generous with praise and petting when I'm grooming Shadow.  He loves being told how good he is, even while he's snarling at me!

It's also easier when Jack is petting his head and feeding him treats while I work on his matted spots.

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

grab

desert
Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:03am

I've been lucky to have two that really enjoy grooming.  I groom on the floor, unless I have Aesop at the self groomers, when I dry and brush him up on a grooming table.

IP Logged

FNG303

My kingdom

Quebec
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 6:56am

Whenever my chow is brushed, he will lie or sit down and go to sleep.
I sit down on the floor or a little stool and brush whichever side my is presented to me.
I do not impose on him if some areas are not accessible. I will wait for him to turn or simply
another time. I will tire out if I try to groom him from head to tail in a single shot.
He does not mind the brushing but does not take well to being manhandled into a position he
did not choose. No snarls or anything, he will simply walk away.
Good luck.

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:49pm

Very rarely do I try to do a complete grooming too.   I figure if I tackle a bit each day, he'll be okay.   And I don't dig deeply so I don't agitate him.  But once in a while, it's necessary to do a deep grooming, and that's when both Jack and I will get on the floor and Jack will keep him occupied while I tackle the really hard parts.

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Chinas Joy

I Love Chows!

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 4:23am

Hi everybody,

Iíve posted this grooming plan on the CPP, after reading your posts here I thought it might be of some help for you too.

Puppies have to learn a lot, including the grooming. Start with brushing to let him get used to it, brush him every day or every other day, when this is accepted by the puppy start with a comb.
A good way to teach them is lying down, it takes more time to teach them but it is a perfect way to do it, especially because you can reach all the places.
When the chow is already a grown up it is difficult to teach him this way but standing up will also work.
I prefer to put them on a grooming table because it is a ideal working height and so much better for your back when youíve got several chows.

Important is that you comb from the skin (so deep) and not halfway the length of hairs.
If you decide to do it halfway the chow will look at first sight nice but this is only temporary.
De skin must be able to breath, sort of speech, this is not impossible if you comb the wrong way, or with the wrong tools (to wide comb). This has the same effect as to do it halfway.
With one hand you comb and with the other you hold back the unkempt hair and the skin on itís place, and so on.

When the chow is standing you start down by the feet and from there you work to the top.
Donít misunderstand you com from above to down but you start from the feet till the top of the leg. Why?
Because when you work this way you always come out on a part which is already done, this is easier working and nicer to your chow.
If you do it the other way around you keep on getting tangled in the hair that still needs to be done and that works unpleasant for the both of you.

The face and around the eyes you can do with a flee comb, perfect to remove the loose hairs.

Lying on one side, Iíll start at the top of the head the closest to the floor and again with the free hand keep the other fur back and the skin on itís place.
Work from the head to the elbow, from back to belly and so on.
If you think it is easier you can also start with the feet and work the other way around.
The behind I start gentle by the genitalia and from there to the leg till the shorter part.
The long hair on the front leg is done the same way.
Legs (short part) first everything downwards then the other way around.
The belly start halfway to the part which is already done.
Inside behind leg starting from feet to top.
Then the other half.
Finally you cut of the hairs which peaks out of the foot soles and between the toes itís been cut till a nice round cat foot.
Last but not least when the chow stands you brush him and the work is done!

Lissette.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2008 at 1:07pm by Chinas Joy »  
WWW Chinas Joy  
IP Logged

Lovechows

Khan

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 1:50pm

This is good to watch.
Not all chows are this easy to groom.
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=kxn7fOlWnj4
Khan was very good.He used to go to the grooming table as soon as he saw it was out.
Kai is a differant kettle of fish.
He doesn't even like going in car.
Shirley

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 2:35pm

Thank you Lissette for the detailed information about grooming.
Do you mean with the grooming plan on CPP the Dutch ChowChowPraat forum?
For those being interested in the Dutch Chow Forum see here (okay...it is in Dutch):
ChowChowPraat Forum

Also Shirley many thanks for the video link.

Well, I have a little 'groomed' video too; featuring ME and (MY) SHADOW

Shadow being groomed

It is said before;
Start, when your Chow is still a puppy by touching and inspecting all the 'parts'. Do that regular.
Make him feel convenient.
It is clear that many Chows don't like being groomed. But stay consistent and do it on a frequent base.
You will see there will be a day they love to be groomed while getting all the attention.

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

ursel

I love my Sini and all
Chows!

Germany
Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 4:55pm

Sini knows that every morning there is grooming time before our walk Smiley.

During the procedure she is on the floor, standing or/and †sitting. She has to be on the floor because of my bad back. I can't heave her onto a table any longer as I did with her two predecessors.

While brushing Sini I'm talking all along telling her she is my good girl Kiss and I'm making her look beautiful for our walk Wink. I'm telling her what part of her body I'm just doing and that I'm doing fine and will soon finish.... So we can go Grin!

Ursel

IP Logged

Lovechows

Khan

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 11:04pm

Peter,
Loved watching Shadow being groomed. Wink
Shirley

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 2:57pm

Look how nicely Shadow lies there for you, Peter!

And many thanks for that Paw Paw grooming video, that was wonderful. 

Shadow's coat isn't half as thick as Paw Paws, but it was helpful to watch the techniques being used.

Of course, Paw Paw was definitely enjoying his grooming.  The one time I took Shadow to a groomer, (other than the first time, when we had to shave his entire coat away because he'd been so neglected for so many years) she couldn't even hold a brush near him without his trying to attack her, and for real, not just nasty warning snaps.

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 3:40pm

Thank's Peter for the lovely comb video, isn't it great
to do it yourself frequently, hug,kiss and bond Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Lynne likes the grooming of her red body, she almost
climbs on the table herself. I never use a brush, only
the combs. Also I never clip nails, it is not necessary,
beside walking in the forrest we walk also on stone paths.
Good for shortening the nails, muscles and gait Smiley Cheesy

Greetings from Ted

i38.tinypic.com/2jb18cm.jpg

IP Logged

ursel

I love my Sini and all
Chows!

Germany
Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 12:56am

Lynne wrote on Oct 11th, 2008 at 3:40pm:
Also I never clip nails, it is not necessary,
beside walking in the forrest we walk also on stone paths.
Good for shortening the nails, muscles and gait Smiley Cheesy

Greetings from Ted

i38.tinypic.com/2jb18cm.jpg

Ted, I haven't got to clip nails either apart from those of Sini's first toes which don't reach the floor. From time to time I do rasp them that they won't grow into her skin.

The above part of your contribution to the topic "grooming woes" made Sini and me go for an extra walk on stone in our neighbourhood this evening when there wasn't so much traffic anymore. Usually we prefer wandering in the woods to avoid the exhauust fumes of lots and lots of cars.

Ursel

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print