Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Genetic Diversity (Read 3972 times)
Red_Dragon

I love Chows!

USA
Genetic Diversity
Aug 30th, 2008 at 8:11pm

Here is a brief article for those breeders that are unaware of a serious dilemma with the Chow breed, it is a major cause for all the health problems the breed has. A century or more of line breeding and inbreeding has taken it's toll on the breed, and much worse yet is those line breedings and inbreedings many times were done with less than favorable breeding stock. http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/diversity-dilemma-dogs

Red Dragon

IP Logged

Red_Dragon

I love Chows!

USA
Re: Genetic Diversity
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 8:29pm

Red Dragon

IP Logged

Lovechows

Khan

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 1:39am

I watched the program in UK.
It was sickening.
The suffering of some of the dogs was heart breaking.
I always thought breeding was supposed to be for the betterment of the breed.

Shirley

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2008 at 11:03am by Lovechows »  

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 11:53am

Yes Red_Dragon,

Shirley is referring to a programme by the BBC in the UK.
I was able to view it, thanks Shirley.

Here is the first link:
BBC News :: Pedigree dogs plagued by disease

On Youtube you can find the various details on that broadcast:
<PLEASE BE AWARE ABOUT SHOCKING IMAGES>

Pedigree Dogs Exposed Part 1 to 6

It is not specifically about Chow Chows. But the warning is clear.

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Red_Dragon

I love Chows!

USA
Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:52pm

It is discusting what breeders have done to the dogs, what is more disturbing though, is that they cannot see what they have done. Take that judge in part one, he thought it was perfectly nornal for that GS to move like that, the dog is clearly crippled! We have the same thing here in the states with the GS dogs, I really can't even bare to look at them at the shows, it is just discusting! Breeders better wake up and realize what they are doing, and quit living in denial about the problems, otherwise there won't be anymore purebred dogs in the future.

Red Dragon

IP Logged

FNG303

My kingdom

Quebec
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 2:57pm

Quote:
Quote:
It is not specifically about Chow Chows.

At the 7:30 mark  of part 3 of the BBC series, 10 breeds whose genetic diversity is down to only 10% of
what it was 40 years ago. Among them, the Chow.

IP Logged

Red_Dragon

I love Chows!

USA
Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 5:58pm

The Chow was just named as the oldest breed of dog left. The study was based on DNA and it is the closest relative to the wolf, very pure in it's DNA. The problem is that also makes it the least diverse genetically. I have seen and know of every one of those problems the other breeds have, in the Chow. Except the skull problem with the King Charles. Go to any Chow site and you will see the problems in the health, here included. Breeders are in such denial about it that it just blows my mind, then there are just as many that try and cover up the problems and lie about it, just like that breeder did in the interview. The whole thing is just sickening!

Red Dragon

IP Logged

Gurkan

Once chow - always chow!

Härnösand, Sweden
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:04pm

I haven't seen the clip but I have heard of it. This makes me wonder if there are any breeding guidlines or rules in your countries? Maybe even national laws?
What does you national kennel club do to improve the health of the dogs in your country? What is required to have a litter registered with the kennel club?

Of course we have health problems in many breeds in Sweden, but there is an awareness about this and there are rules for the breeders to follow in order to being able to register their puppies with the Swedish Kennel Club (SKK).
Every breed must have a breeding strategy where health problems etc are presented and how the club aim to act to decrease these problems in the short run and in the long run. This is serious stuff and the SKK won't accept any lame strategy here. The Swedish chow club have not got their breeding strategies acceted yet...

WWW 287065334  
IP Logged

Red_Dragon

I love Chows!

USA
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:24pm

The CCCI in the US does absolutely nothing to insure the health and longevity of the breed. There are no breeding rules by the CCCI or the AKC other than they want to make sure they are purebred and all of the paperwork is correct. It's a free for all in this country. Pretty sad for an organization that runs around pumping their chests, when they do nothing to insure the survival of the breed.

Just heard of another dog that died at a very young age, some of the same lines as the others that have died young. When will people realize that healthy dogs don't die at a young age? If the breed club cared or the breeder cared, they would stop breeding the line, as they only make it worse with all the inbreeding each generation.

Red Dragon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print