Blue Tongue Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Wet and smelly chins! (Read 45041 times)
ChrismaChows

Chrisma Chows

Blaine, Washington USA
Re: Wet and smelly chins!
Reply #45 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 9:56pm

Hi,
Because I have a cat who cant eat/drink out of plastic  For inside the house there is a water bottle, and also the bowl of water.. The bowl of water I had Tom weld a rod and plate to a metal disk and this works great.. Also if you tight on money, ice cubes work great but you have to replace them.
The road refresher looks great, does it work as well as it looks?
Sherrie

Sherrie L. Determan
Chrisma Chow Chows
www.chrismachows.com
WWW ChrismaChows chrismachows   
IP Logged

Yvonne

There is no dog as beautiful
as a Chow Chow

Hendersonville, TN
Reply #46 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 5:38am

Personally, the road refresher worked miraculously for me.  Zion used to get a rash from the moisture constantly all over his chin and chest, and the road refresher stopped it.  His chin still gets dribbles, but there's no comparison.  Wink

IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #47 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 8:46pm

It's brilliant Sherrie!  I have 2 in my house now and I honestly can't imagine what I'd do without them now! 

I even take mine to the groomers with me so that they don't get all wet under their chins after they've just been blow-dried!  Grin Grin

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

abba2u2

I love Chows!

Ocala Florida
Reply #48 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 12:50am

Well, its been one day with the road refresher(buddy Bowl)...... It has kept her drier, but,,,, I have to watch, always checking, and have a towel near by to wipe the little bit she does get under her chin.........I guess, its better. time will tell................

M LLuis
marthalluis  
IP Logged

Lene

XaSha, Vicki, Willi, Penny,
Ah Kum, Annchi & Zhong

Enkoping - Sweden
Reply #49 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 1:39pm

Hi all

I have to ask if she grew away from that?????

You see I now have a little "smelly" lady that can't even drink from a buddy bowl without being soaking wet all the way down the chest and in between and DOWN LEGS TOOOO!!!!

I am actually beginning to think that there is something wrong with her - I don't know what to do.
Yeahh sure dry her with a towel - okay minimum 10 times a day and a new towel every time since the towel is soaking wet after having dried her and she is still wet.
It takes at least 15 minutes to dry her with a hairdryer and she is wet all the way into the skin!
What can be wrong with her??

I thought it was quite a bit with Willi - BUT PENNY that is totally another story, it's like she can't get the water into her moputh and when in it all runs out again!
9/10 of all that comes in goes out - I even thought that she had a hole in her neck/chest - IT'S that much!!
The pictures can't really show how much it is but might give you an idea.
Thanks for any other advices Wink

Best
Lene
... ...

LSH
WWW http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1436878259  
IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #50 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 12:16am

Hi Lene

Oh no! She looks just like my Mika used to look before I bought the road refresher bowls! I can't believe that Penny still gets so wet after using one of those! How old is she?

I think they do grow out of this dribbling stage when they get a little older, however, Mika still gets very wet under her chin when we go out walking. She always has a frothy mouth and she drools terribly. I have semi-conquered this by putting a bandana round her neck before we go out.

Maybe you should try putting a bandana or a bib round her neck while she's in the house?

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #51 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 12:19am

P.S. Penny looks very similar to Mika!! I had to look twice at the picture as I thought it was her!! Grin

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Lene

Ah Kum, Annchi & Zhong

Enkoping - Sweden
Reply #52 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:57pm

We've tried the bandana ........ Wink
I have to change it every 5 minutes then it's dribbing wet.
I actually have thought about taking her to the vet asking if this is normal - it's so much more than I'm used to. Her brother and sister dribbles BUT not this much and wet into the skin.
We are going to the vet anyhow on friday (to have Vicki ultrasound scanned) so they might as well look at Penny at the same time. She really has big difficulties getting the water up and into her mouth. I really want to be able to rest calmly that there is nothing really wrong with her.

They do LOOK ALIKE Grin but Penny is still only 4 months

LSH
IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #53 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 9:00pm

Lene wrote on Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:57pm:
I actually have thought about taking her to the vet asking if this is normal - it's so much more than I'm used to. Her brother and sister dribbles BUT not this much and wet into the skin.
We are going to the vet anyhow on friday (to have Vicki ultrasound scanned) so they might as well look at Penny at the same time. She really has big difficulties getting the water up and into her mouth. I really want to be able to rest calmly that there is nothing really wrong with her.

Hi Lene--,

Your vet sure must be able to find out about the throat. Next to that, what about an overbite of your Chow?
The best is that your vet is making a scopy.

What about putting her water bowl on nose level???

Keep us updated.

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

teddy97

I Love Chows!

Reply #54 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 12:59am

Last year Shirley rang me and asked how do you keep your dog chest dry, a road refresher was the answer. I did not know it was for this site she required the answer. Wink Wink We had been troubled with a wet and smelly chest for months, we tried every thing we could, tennis balls in the bowl, but the dog lifted it out and played with it. you name it we tried it.
Our boy was teething and used the cold water to cool his sore gums, he was like a kingfisher  Smiley lifting the water and thinking it would stay in his mouth.

Then I was told about this so called miricle bowl Roll Eyes Roll Eyes yeh right, like this will work.

It was the best 10 ever I spent. The very first day we got the bowl, the boy got a bath and presented with his new bowl. It was like heaven, no more smelly chest. Since then we have purchase two more, one used outside & one inside, and a spare in the store.

ROAD REFRESHER A MUST HAVE FOR CHOWS.

BBT'ers should be getting a discount for all the purchase's Smiley Wink

IP Logged

Lene

Ah Kum, Annchi & Zhong

Enkoping - Sweden
Reply #55 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 2:29pm

Thanks "Teddy"
Just ordered 2 from the UK.
I hope that these may have an influence on her wet ches - but I still let the vet have a look on her at friday  Wink

//Lene

LSH
IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #56 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 7:17pm

Hi Lene,

I thought that was what you meant when you said you had the 'buddy bowl' - I thought you meant you had already tried the Road Refresher and Penny was still soaking wet.  Now that I know you didn't mean that bowl, I'm absolutely positive that they will make a big difference to the problem.  They have definitely reduced my chows slobbering by at least 90%!  They're amazing!

Please let us know what the vet says and how you get on when the bowls arrive!!  Smiley Smiley

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Lene

Ah Kum, Annchi & Zhong

Enkoping - Sweden
Reply #57 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 12:37pm

Hi Hi

Cheesy
Well I have the Buddy Bowl - I got that for a long time ago and it's absolutely marvelous. (I'm talking about the one from the States  Wink)
But the Road Refresher looks quite different so why not try it??
I'll do anything to try and get this better and I hate to think that there should be something wrong with her.
It's ordered now and on friday the vet look her over.
Hopefully it all goes well   Huh

But if you think of something else do tell because until I'm sure I can't rest calmly  Undecided

LSH
IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #58 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 2:14pm

Lene wrote on Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:57pm:

Hi Lene--,

Today it is Friday (March 13, 2009) and you wrote seeing your vet.
Did you show him Penny and what was his opinion?

What about the scan on Vicki?

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Yvonne

There is no dog as beautiful
as a Chow Chow

Hendersonville, TN
Reply #59 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 12:53am

Hey everyone, I finally found a real live solution to the wet, smelly mess!  I tried something when I was grooming Zion the other day.  I trimmed his fur back under his chin, at sort of an angle and cut out much of the fur that is wet all the time.  I know it sounds awful, but truly it isn't.  I followed the natural line of the fur, and just brought it in a little bit right there where it always catches drool.  I cannot believe how amazing the result is!  His mane is dry under his chin for the first time EVER.  The chin is still wet, but not the entire mane underneath like it was.  So no more bibs (which caused terrible mats).  No more washing the front of him constantly.  I am so happy.  Cheesy  I wanted to pass that along for anyone else who deals with it.

Also I tried Bio Groom shampoo for 'white' dogs, and it made his cinnamon and white coat just beautiful.  It gleams!  So I'd really recommend that for light cinnamon and cream dogs.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print