Blue Tongue Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Wet and smelly chins! (Read 45042 times)
Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Re: Wet and smelly chins!
Reply #30 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 12:44am

I just got a big lump in my throat reading about Khan with the vet   Cry Cry Cry

It's so, so sad, and as morbid as it may be, I am absolutely dreading the day when I have to say goodbye to my girls.  I honestly don't know how I will cope without them.

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Lovechows

Khan

Reply #31 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 1:10am

Nicki,
We all loved him so much but we wouldn't want him back to suffer.
We got the news Khan had a tumour at 2am in the morning after the scans and xrays.
We where getting ready to go to the vets the morning after and this is what we saw through our window.It was over the vets where Khan was.
Keith said there is an angel watching over him and these where the only clouds in the sky.
Shirley

IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #32 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 1:44am

Oh Shirley, now that has definitely made me fill up.  Cry Cry Cry

I think Keith was right.......they definitely look like angels wings to me.

I know what you mean about not wanting them to suffer, but I just think that it's so hard to say goodbye.  We had to have our family dog of 13 years put to sleep about 5 years ago, and it was the hardest thing I've ever been through.  It took me a very long time to stop grieving, and even now I still get upset sometimes when I think of him.  He was such a lovely little thing.......so loving and placid.

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

ursel

I love my Sini and all
Chows!

Germany
Reply #33 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 3:14pm

Nicky and Shirley,

lots of years ago I had our first chow Wuschi put to sleep at the age of nearly eleven.
On my way back home from the vet without my beloved Wuschi I could hardly see the road - tears were in my eyes and running down my face.
The rest of the day I was sitting next to the phone waiting/hoping the vet might call and tell me Wuschi wasn't dead but had just been anaesthetized that she, the vet, could operate on her ... a totally unrealistic behaviour of mine:( Cry.

Ursel

IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #34 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 4:18pm

Hi Ursel,

I know it should sound silly that you waited by the phone for the vet to call, but I can totally understand why you would do that.  It's very hard to come to terms with the fact that they're not there anymore........so very hard to believe that you will never see them again  Cry

We just have to enjoy every minute with them while we can, because although losing them is one of the hardest things you have to go through, the happiness and love that they bring us inbetween makes it all so worthwhile.

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #35 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 11:35am

Ooh, loosing a Chow Friend.....
It has such an impact on us humans; but not only on us.
Also on the whole pack, when more Chows are around.
We have seen it when we came home without Kaya on July 16, 2008 and how Shadow, Xiong and Kiang were wondering....
It took a couple of weeks before 'the pack' went back to 'business as usual'.
Kaya will never be forgottten.....
Nor will be her grandfather Pau Lin and cousin Beer.

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Lene

XaSha, Vicki, Willi, Penny,
Ah Kum, Annchi & Zhong

Enkoping - Sweden
Reply #36 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 10:07am

I just need to give you another VERY GOOD bowl - I have 2 of them. One in my car and one in the house.
It's the
spill-proof original Buddy Bowl
at the following page they have good pictures of it: http://www.thepamperedpetmart.com/page/TPPM/PROD/TFC1/BuddyBowl
The best pictures I could find in a hurry.

My Willi is a terrible "dribber" too and dribbles all over - no matter what.
Other times at shows for example he gets so excited and concentrated that he forgets to dribble??!!
He is only 9 months old and it comes and goes - more or less. I don't wanna say what it smells like - but holding him under his chins = go and wash yourself  Wink
When it's much I use a dish-towels around his neck - that has to changed 2-3 times a day where I have to run around in the garden to find the old one since he is playing a lot, if he isn't rolling in smelling mushrooms (smells like vinegar) so all of him smells like I don't now what and he is really proud of himself until I take him into the shower .... Undecided
Therefore I was quite interested in the first part of this issue that I read and about it being some kind of manly smell coming from him.
This also because XaSha gets ciklosporin in one of her eyes and that product makes her dribble but only in that side where she gets the drops ............. and it doesn't smell like his no matter how wet she is - it's just like water (and she also has to wear my lovely dish-towels - she just doesn't has to "be changed" that often)..................

All of this very interesting subject  Smiley

With Chow Greetings
Lene

LSH
WWW http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1436878259  
IP Logged

Yvonne

There is no dog as beautiful
as a Chow Chow

Hendersonville, TN
Reply #37 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:53am

Hi there fellow friend with a wet and smelly chow!  I was just on the internet looking for a solution to the exact same problem with my little 5 month old cinnamon chow; Zion.  I was just wiping him with doggie wipes and then washing him down good at night with a wash cloth, but he is still so stinky!  Today was the last straw for me though when, for the first time I groomed him myself, because my groomer was sick.  I was at one of those do it yourself type places.  When I blow dried his chin and neck, I saw all these sores and irritation!  I'm now afraid he'll get a fungus or something down there.  So just tonight my husband and I put his water dish up on blocks, trying just what you tried.  Doesn't work very well at all.  I'm going to try that one idea of the foam I think.  my other chow; Belle, doesn't have the problem at all, but Belle, although she's a beauty, had an unfortunately long nose.  lol  For this situation, she's the better off for it!  Now that I've discovered this site, I'll stop in and see what else is going on!  My babies (chows) can be seen on my blog:  www.nightingaledesign.org/blog ;  And BTW, your dogs are gorgeous and your water stand is quite impressive looking!

IP Logged

Yvonne

as a Chow Chow

Hendersonville, TN
Reply #38 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:57am

Oh, I forgot to add a very important note:  whoever told you to shave your chow is a BONE HEAD!  Don't do it!  It would only grow back and you'd be in the same place, so what's the point?  Anyway, good luck!
Yvonne

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #39 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:28pm

Hi Yvonne--,

Thank you for your reactions and telling about your Zion.
Zion having also wet and smelly chins.
Yes, it can quickly irritate there when it stays wet. Important is keep it dry there.

Aah and Belle hasn't that problem because of her nose...... Smiley Cool Roll Eyes

You are absolutely right not to shave your Chow; only when it is necessary for medical reasons and upon advice of a vet.

Yvonne, may I kindly invite you to write an introduction about yourself and your Chows? Where are you living?
NetChows :: Chow-Chow :: Blue Tongue Talk :: Forum Stuff :: Chow

I saw your blog!

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #40 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 2:59pm

Hi Lene!  Thanks for the link for another ingenius water bowl idea!  I think they're perfect for our beloved chow chows!  Grin Grin

Hi Yvonne and welcome to the forum!  I think it seems to be a common problem amongst chows, this dribbling malarky!  I have to say though that I bought 2 of the Road Refresher bowls from Prestige Pets, and I honestly don't think that I could do without them now.  They are so much better than a normal water bowl, because not only do they stop the horrible wet and smelly chins, but they are also really handy for travelling with and can be taken anywhere because they simply do not spill!  Mika does still drool a bit when she goes out for walks, but I just wait until this is dry and them I put some Johnson Dry Powder Shampoo in her beard and give her a brush.  This helps to take that awful nasty smell away and make her nice, clean and dry again!  Anyway, whichever method you try, be sure to let us know how you get on!

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Yvonne

as a Chow Chow

Hendersonville, TN
Reply #41 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 8:47pm

OK, I'm all signed up!  I've ordered the road refresher bowls, so we'll see how that goes!  Until they come, I've been giving Zion his water by holding it for him and wiping his chin after he drinks...this will get old pretty quick I'm thinking.... Huh

IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #42 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 1:35pm

Hi Yvonne!

Glad you have ordered the road refresher and really hope that it solves your problem!  It doesn't stop all of the dribbling, but it stops around 90% which is a BIG help as far as I'm concerned!!!

Just had a look at your blog and your chows are very beautiful!  Zion is such a lovely colour.  Thanks for your introduction too  Smiley

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

abba2u2

I love Chows!

Ocala Florida
Reply #43 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 6:03am

Thank you this is truly the place for chow chow education.......... I ordered a bowl... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..

M LLuis
marthalluis  
IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #44 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 6:11am

abba2u2 wrote on Dec 30th, 2008 at 6:03am:
Thank you this is truly the place for chow chow education.......... I ordered a bowl... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..

I couldn't agree more!!  I love it here and have had so much help from all of the lovely kind, helpful and friendly chowists since I joined!

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print