Blue Tongue Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Wet and smelly chins! (Read 44985 times)
Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Wet and smelly chins!
Aug 14th, 2008 at 1:25pm

Hi everyone!

I just wondered if anyone had the same problem as I seem to have with both of my chows, and that is that they are constantly wet and smelly underneath their chins!  Suki is cream and hers therefore looks a lot worse, as her fur is black where it's wet and doesn't smell very nice at all!!!  Mika never used to be like that as a puppy, but from about 5 months old, now that her hair is longer, she seems to be very wet and smelly underneath too.

I've tried affixing a water bottle to the wall for them, but this is not very good as it doesn't give them enough water when they are hot and desperate for a drink.  So then I bought an adjustable stand with 2 bowls on, which can both be adjusted to separate heights (see pic)

This doesn't seem to work either.....in fact, it actually makes them wetter I think because they dribble more as they walk away!!

At the moment I've been drying Mika with a hairdryer (which takes forever!), and then putting a powder shampoo on her fur which doesn't require washing off.  With Suki I'm having to put her in the bath every couple of days and washing underneath her chin completely, then drying her with a hairdryer.

I have been advised to shave them underneath by a breeder, but I don't really want to do this as I think it spoils their beautiful looks.  The only other alternative that I can think of would be to put bibs on them during the day whilst they're at home, but I can't imagine that this is very comfortable for them, especially in the summer!

Any suggestions guys?

Many thanks,
Nicki
xxx

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Wet and smelly chins!
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 2:09pm

I believe your two lovelies are producing their sexual "perfume."  Shadow gets this going in long strands of drool anytime there's another dog around, or if I walk him in an area where a lot of dogs have been walked and have made their mark.  His beard gets soaks and sticky, and the mucus in the saliva really does stink.  In fact, a lot of his chew toys and his blanket have the same smell (I do wash his blanket, though!).

When we first got Shadow, he put up this smelly drool constantly.  I'm guessing because he wanted the house to smell like him so he could feel at home.  But he rarely does it anymore, even for other dogs on our walk.  He doesn't do it for Moonlight, pehaps because she's sexually immature, but he does do it for our son's dachshund when they visit.  That's what makes me think it's a sexual thing.

What can you do?  When Shadow really puts up a smell, I wipe him down with clear water and brush him out.  I used to use a grooming dry shampoo spray, but the perfumey smell of that stuff was worse than the doggy smell, so I stopped.

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 2:10pm

By the way, where did you get that wonderful two-dog feeder?

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 3:13pm

Hi Ef,

I'm not sure whether it is the 'sexual drool' you mentioned.  I've watched them both and when they're both completely dry (and clean!), they drink out of their bowls and their fur dips in the bowl while they're drinking.  They then walk away from the bowl and they are literally soaking underneath.  I try and dry them with a towel whenever I'm there, but they still stay wet underneath.  Obviously the more they drink the wetter they become, and then they go and play outside and end up getting dirt in it, which is where the smell is coming from I think.  It smells like a dirty cloth!

This is why I tried the adjustable height feeder, as I thought the higher the bowl was, the less chance there was of them getting soaked, but it doesn't seem to work, as like I say, when they walk away from the bowl the water just drips all over their chest.

I think the only solution would be to shave them under their chins, but I REALLY don't want to do this Sad as I love that furry ruff that sits around their faces!  It gives them that lovely lion look.

I bought the feeder off ebay.  I searched all over the internet and couldn't find one which had separate height adjusters........all the others had twin bowls but they both had to be set at the same height.  I've just had a look to see if the ebay shop is still selling them, but they only have the same height ones in stock.  I think they only post to the UK too, but here's the link to their shop and you could always ask.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/South-Coast-Pet-Supplies_Dog_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ931...

Best wishes,
Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Lovechows

Khan

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 4:30pm

Nicki,
My black boy used to wet himself when he had a drink.
He smelled like an old mop.
I used to wipe him with a towel after he had a drink.Then I would use Johnsons dry foam shampoo.
It smells very nice.You can get it from most pet shops.
I would never ever shave your beautiful chows.
Don't tell people in the chow game a breeder as advised you to do that they will go mad. Grin Grin Grin
Shirley

IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:28pm

Hi Shirley!

The dry foam shampoo sounds good!  I have the Johnsons dry powder shampoo but their coat has to be completely dry before I can put it on, so it kinda defeats the ojbect of a quick fix!  Can you put the dry foam shampoo on wet fur or does it have to be totally dry like the powder one?

Yes I definitely don't want to shave them!  It would break my heart!  Cry

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:35pm

Hi Nicki--,

It sounds easy....
But keep it dry with a towel and rub very well.
Make it custom to dry each time when they drunk.....

No detergents....

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

ursel

I love my Sini and all
Chows!

Germany
Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 6:24pm

Hi Nicky,

the idea of shaving my hairy old lady Sini is stomach-churning to me as well as using detergents or perfumes.
A dry towel and a brush are okay for my Sini!

Ursel

IP Logged

Lovechows

Khan

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 6:44pm

Nicki,
You can use it on wet fur.
I didn't use it all the time .Like people on her say rub it with a towel.
It was just when Chang smelled.
You are lucky I know a lot of chow people who say their chows paw all the water out of the bowls. Wink Wink Wink
Ursel,
What a beautiful girl Sini is.
Shirley

IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 9:46pm

Thanks guys - I wouldn't use it all the time, just like Shirley said, when they get smelly! 

They did used to paw their water bowls now and again when the weather was hot (which is not very often in the UK!!!  Wink ), so that's another reason why I bought them a stand to put their water bowls on.  Now then can reach fine for a drink, but can't get their big paws in there!    Grin

Ursel - Sini is beautiful!  Couldn't you just look at chow pictures all day?  I adore them!  Such a stunning royal breed!

Nicki
x

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

ursel

I love my Sini and all
Chows!

Germany
Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 11:01pm

Thank you Shhirley and Nicky!
Yes, I think all chows are beautiful, aren't they Smiley Smiley Smiley?!!!

Ursel

IP Logged

Lovechows

Khan

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 12:17am

Nicki,
I have been making some enquiries and I have been told these are very good.
http://www.roadrefresher.com/
Shirley

IP Logged

Mika and Suki

I Love My Chow Girls!

UK
Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 1:56am

Oh thank you so much Shirley!  I spent hours searching for something like that and couldn't find anything!  I've ordered one straight away, so I will let you know how I get on!  Hopefully this will be the end of my little sweethearts having stinky beards!!!!   Grin Grin Grin

Nicki
xxx

Best Wishes,
Nicki, Mika and Suki
x

IP Logged

Chinas Joy

I Love Chows!

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 2:17am

Hi Nicky,
The water bowls are very handsome and work very good. Because of this top they only have a small round to drink from, so there is less space to dip their fur in.
It helps, but when it is very warm weather they let go the last water which they have into their month. You have to watch though because by a puppy the water gets to the skin.
It can get red there, kind of looking as eczema, which is irritating for the puppy.
If that happens I would not shave it, what you can do is cut it short just beneath the month.
From one side to another, just that peace, into the form of a little half moon.
It does not matter it is puppy coat and changes anyway, also if you do it the right way you will not even notice it!!!
Unfortunate is that puppy coat is like cotton they suck water up, the adult coat keeps it more away.
Here I place pictures of Romy, Iíve cut her the way I said, because even with the special bowl she gets wet! (When itís very warm and humid)

Lissette.

WWW Chinas Joy  
IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 9:13am

An interesting subject..... Smiley

We all know the term 'no iron'.....when we talk about cleaning laundry.
It is mentioned in many of my white shirts... So, no need for using the flat-iron..... Roll Eyes Happy me! Grin
Talking now about the coat of our Chows there is also a kind of a 'natural' mechanism which helps keeping the coat in good condition. I often call the coat a 'no-washing' dress. Meaning it cleans itself.... Huh Roll Eyes
The skin and the coat and all the micro-organisms there are in a kind of 'balance' with each other.
There is also a certain acidity on the skin.
It is also fact that there is a fatty base in the coat and on the skin. It is a kind of natural barrier for all what is coming from outside direction skin.
When that fatty base isn't there e.g. water can easily affect the skin.

So applying detergents (like in shampoo) or 'dehydration stuff' will have a negative effect on the 'micro flora' and the 'fatty base'. The result can be: Inflammation/red spots since the 'barrier' is gone.

Be it a puppy coat or adult coat the principles are the same.
Wash the coat only when it is really necessary.

The idea of the bowl is great and for the rest keep the area dry with a towel.
Also what is important - in particular for puppies; Frequently groom (comb, brush)!!!
When you don't do that the coat (scowl) will look 'rope like' (rasta) easily allowing 'dripping'.
Once wet and soaked all kind of dirt easily will be abosrbed.
The coat - also for puppies - should be "airy/fluffy". Aerobic conditions (oxygen!) and not anearobic (non oxygen...making the stink!!!!) conditions!!

Now when the skin is red already follow the suggestion of Lissette. Don't shave but cut away parts of the coat there and let mother nature do the healing (when only some red spots).

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print