Blue Tongue Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Practical Pup Tips needed! (Read 6028 times)
Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Practical Pup Tips needed!
Aug 5th, 2008 at 6:29pm

Although I've had dogs all my life, Moonlight is my first puppy, so I'm feeling like a nervous new mother, and I have many questions!

Shadow and Moonlight are really starting to get along now.  I was wondering about the two of them together as she grows. 
When she gets older, will I be able to feed them in the same location, or should I continue to keep them separate?

Right now I feed her in her playpen (a little portable fencing), but I don't want to keep that set up once she's fully grown because it's in the living room, and I want to encourage her to eat and drink in the kitchen--I'm just afraid that if I feed her in the open with Shadow, Shadow will just steal her food, because he's done that already a few times when she doesn't finish eating right away. 

So what's the best way to set her feeding habits without having any confrontations?

Right now, Moonlight refuses to use her own puppy crate--I think the fact that she was shipped in it turned her off to it.  She loves Shadow's crate, though, so I ordered her one of her own.  I hope she'll like it more than she likes Shadow's!  At night, she sleeps in the playpen, and she is soooo good, all night long.  But during the day, she doesn't go near her pen except to eat. If I put her treats in on her bed, she ignores them, and Shadow ends up stealing them.   She'll sleep all day on the floor, in Shadow's crate, or even tucked into our phone booth, but never on her own bed!  She also loves to "den," and  Shadow doesn't mind that she uses his crate.  In fact, he doesn't mind when she digs up the treats he's buried in there and steals them.  (He is such a good big brother!) 

Should I encourage her to use her own bed, once the new crate arrives, or just let the two of them sort out their crate arrangements?

When can I expect her coat to come in?  The Chowchow book I have mentions that the puppy coat will fall out as the new coat comes in, but it doesn't say when that occurs.

What about puppy teeth?  I gave her some Nylabone toys to play with, as the book recommended, but she doesn't seem very interested in them.  I also gave her some floss-rope toys, and she plays with those on occasion, but mostly she steals Shadow's rawhides and bully sticks.  So when do puppy teeth fall out, and what's the best way to handle them?

I've had to rely on repetition and praise and petting to train her in the simple commands so far because she still won't eat treats.  I even cut up a chicken dog into tiny pieces to use as a training treat, but she gets so focused on the treat, she walks off with it and training ends before it's begun!  Am I trying to train too soon?  What's the best age to train for commands like "Come" Sit" and "Stay"?

I appreciate any helpful advice on keeping my little Moonlight on track as she grows!

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Re: Practical Pup Tips needed!
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 11:26am

Hi Ef, wooow lot's of questions Wink Wink

All my Chows were eating together, maybe I was lucky, but
none of them made troubles.They wait for eachother and when
there were leftovers my oldy Berit finished it.

A crate I never used, all my Chows walked free day and night,
only not in the bedroom, because some snored very loud Grin Grin

The front 8x8 teeth are changing between 4 and 5 months, the
backteeth (molares) are changing around 6 to 7 months.
In between it is o.k when they chew on bully sticks, not to small
Sometimes you hear, auw, a tooth is coming out. I never found
one back.
Do you know in the meantime how old Moonlight is, did you
already have an ACC pedegree??

If you have more questions, please ask, greetings from Ted

img253.imageshack.us/img253/5297/eatingtogetherlw0.jpg

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 2:02pm

Lynne wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 11:26am:
Hi Ef, wooow lot's of questions Wink Wink

All my Chows were eating together, maybe I was lucky, but
none of them made troubles.They wait for eachother and when
there were leftovers my oldy Berit finished it.

A crate I never used, all my Chows walked free day and night,
only not in the bedroom, because some snored very loud Grin Grin

The front 8x8 teeth are changing between 4 and 5 months, the
backteeth (molares) are changing around 6 to 7 months.
In between it is o.k when they chew on bully sticks, not to small
Sometimes you hear, auw, a tooth is coming out. I never found
one back.
Do you know in the meantime how old Moonlight is, did you
already have an ACC pedegree??

If you have more questions, please ask, greetings from Ted

Shadow's crate is more for the daytime. It's a soft, travel crate.  We bought it when we had to take him on a long car ride to go camping, and he loved it so much we just leave it set up for him.  He likes to hide his special things in there, burying all his treats under his blanket.  We never close him up in it, and he sleeps in our bedroom most of the time, or out in the hallway, and yes, he snores almost as loudly as Jack!   Moonlight likes to den a lot, so I thought a place of her own would be good for her.  I imagine that eventually she'll be sleeping in our bedroom with Shadow, or wherever she wants, for that matter!

I received the application from the breeder for her AKC registration and pedigree.  Her dam and sire have registration #s, so I can spend $20 to see what her pedigree is.  The form states that her date of birth is May 1.  I wrote back to the breeder to inquire about that date, since he told me her DOB was May 7, and I even doubt that date because of her condition upon arrival.  If her DOB really is May 1, she's 14 weeks old tomorrow.

I love the picture of "chow time"!  Perhaps I will try that today to see how it goes!

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 3:01pm

Hi Ef,

The man has to send you Moonlights Pedegree, her
you can Lynne's one.
You have the AKC, we have the Dutch NHSB, please
don't except any pretext, silly talk of him.
Here a pedregree comes for free with the dog, the breeder
is bringing it or send it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes I understand your story about the crates, they see
it as their sleping rooms, o.k Wink Grin

Greetings from Ted

img377.imageshack.us/img377/382/pedegreelynneen0.jpg

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:02pm

Lynne wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 3:01pm:
Hi Ef,

The man has to send you Moonlights Pedegree,

If he was a reputable breeder, he probably would.  All he sent me was her dam and sire information.  He refuses to answer any further emails.  It's my own fault for not investigating further before purchasing from her.  I blame myself for what I'm lacking, but he is unscrupulous.

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 6:47pm

Moonlight has begun a new behavior I can't seem to discourage.   Undecided    She now wants to play in her water dish!   I have water all over the kitchen floor.  She began by picking up and throwing her small water dish, so I gave her a slightly larger, no-tip dish and she climbed into it and splash all the water out!  How do you get puppies to stop this behavior?  I don't want to deprive her of her water dish.

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Layla

Yawn, it's tiring being
this cute!

Seattle, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 9:59pm

I use water holes for them as puppies Ef.  My Alf looooves to play in his water bowl, i guess to him it looks perfect for paw cooling  Roll Eyes  They are also pretty good for camping, travelling etc.  

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?cid=0&bid=1&pf_id=4831&browselist=5&pa...

http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/product1175.html

Layla  
IP Logged

Layla

Yawn, it's tiring being
this cute!

Seattle, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 10:03pm

With eating, I feed my together.  To begin with I stayed with them, & corrected if either one looked to be getting to interested in the other's food.  They always swap bowls at the end of eating, but Alf knows to wait until Millie has finished or I say that he can finish her food (when she leaves any)  That works great here.

Alf started shedding his puppy coat abotu 11 months & is still at it... It can be quite dependent on what you are feeding, genetics I believe....

Mine have their own crates but swap with no issues.  I let them figure it out but watched to make sure all was fair Wink

Layla  
IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 10:47pm

Layla wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 9:59pm:
I use water holes for them as puppies Ef.  My Alf looooves to play in his water bowl, i guess to him it looks perfect for paw cooling  Roll Eyes  They are also pretty good for camping, travelling etc.  

Those look interesting!   But I'm hoping this is behavior she'll outgrow if not encouraged, so I don't have to buy yet another item I won't need in another four weeks, like my puppy carrier, puppy crate, puppy bed, and feeder, all of which she's outgrown!

11 months!  I'm surprised.  I see so many puppies that seem to have full coats before that.

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

SengeOz

I Love Chows!

Down Under in Oz
Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 8:56am

Ef,

I feed all my 7 together.  They learn from repetition.  The eldest gets fed first, on down the line to the youngest.  If a puppy is born here, they learn as their feeding times get blended in with the adults.  With a "newcomer", that Chow person learns first to sit & wait (stay) and then they are slowly introduced into the kitchen at feeding time, usually on a lead, where they have to sit & wait til it's their turn.  I find that if everyone is fed together in the exact same routine day after day, it quickly sinks in.

As far as the crate is concerned, consider getting a bigger crate that is easier to see out of - say a wire crate.  Put favourite toys and bedding in there.  Then let them work out their own bed/sleeping choices.

Regarding training - I start with my pups at 3 weeks - immediately their eyes and ears are open.  In other words, it's never too early...  At 14 weeks, give or take, don't run all the new behaviours together - one week 2-3 times a day for NO MORE than 5 minutes do sit or come or whatever.   In actuality, before you get started, please check into "Clicker Training" - Chows love it - I personally think it is the best possible training methodology full stop, but particularly for this breed, which is too smart for its own good.  They are problem solvers (even at 3.5 months old), so it's good at any age.  Check if there is a trainer in Clicker Training in your area and sign up today.  There are also good resources on the web.

Regarding treats - try a hard cheese (soft cheese can get caught in puppy throats & cause them to choke) or roast chicken rather than that processed stuff in chicken hotdogs and the like.  Also, go to the supermarket & get a small package of very thinly sliced liver - take it home, sprinkle it with garlic powder & slow cook it in the oven til it's leather like.  Let cool and then cut it into small pieces.  See if she will respond to that - most of mine do.

Coat:  Coats on Chows change.  You MAY see a change in another month or not for several months.  As for it falling out, well it starts to molt, usually starting from the feet and slowing working it's way up (and out) from the feet.  However, what she will have with that first coat change will probably only be the adolescent coat.  At about 2 years, she will go through another big coat change, which is when she will get her first adult coat.  You can expect a big coat change once every 2 years after that.

As far as teething, Ted has answered that.  However, FWIW, Nylabone and Greenies and that sort of thing are completely VERBOTEN in this house.  I give RAW meaty bones I get from the butcher.  Babies start with chicken necks, but by 14 weeks of age, I'd have them on chicken frames.  MUCH better than the plastic Nylabone, which they can chew off in slivers & swallow or the Greenies, which are known to impact and cause bowel obstructions.  

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2008 at 7:47am by SengeOz »  

Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 1:47pm

That's a lot of information!  I know Victoria Stilwell always recommends chicken for dog training too.  I suppose I should stock up on it and use that instead of the hot dog, but the hot dog has such a strong flavor, I thought it might be more attractive to a puppy.  I'll give the chicken a try and see if she responds.  She is doing well responding to treat training, and some of it even carries over without the treats, which is the goal after all!

I've heard a number of people talk of clicker training, and the local Petsmart offers a class in it, but I prefer using hand signals because you never know when you'll be caught without a clicker in hand, whereas I always have my hands with me  Cheesy Plus the sound of a clicker can get lost in theambient noise of traffic outdoors, but eye contact and hand signals don't.

As for bones, my older dog Shadow is very aggressively possessive of raw bones.  He would even attack me if I approached him while he had a raw bone around--keeping in mind this is a dog I adopted after years of neglect, and this is the only behavior I haven't been able to correct.  He's been very gracious with Moonlight, allowing her to take all his treats from his bed where he hides them, but I can't guarantee how he'd be with a raw bone around, and I don't want to risk Moonlight's well-being to find out.

But these are things I might look into in the coming year, training the two of them together on bone etiquette!

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

SengeOz

I Love Chows!

Down Under in Oz
Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 7:46am

Ef,

Clicker training works great with hand signals.  In fact, you start with NO signals, hand or voice.  Then progressively as the dog/cat/horse/human (I wish) offers you rewardable behaviours, you then bring in the signals - personally I bring in hand signals first and then follow up with working on voice commands.  And this is a system you can use with adding new behaviours as long as the dog has vision.

Cheers,
Judith-Ann

Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)

IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 8:50am

Hi Ef--,

here we go....
All these questions..... Smiley
It shows you are really concerned and wanting the best for you Moonlight and not to forget your Shadow.

Great to see all these answers and advices!
Judith-Ann, Layla, Ted; Chapeau!

My advice?
Hug Moonlight and Shadow a lot from all of us! Smiley Wink

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 12:34pm

SengeOz wrote on Aug 10th, 2008 at 7:46am:
 And this is a system you can use with adding new behaviours as long as the dog has vision.

My husband's cousin, who is deaf, adopted a deaf dog, and she is working to train her using hand signals alone (naturally!).  I don't know what kind of success she's having, but I thought the concept was pretty brave!

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Chinas Joy

I Love Chows!

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 1:27pm

Hi Ef,
Since Moonlight is your first puppy you will experience a lot more about our breed.
It is so nice to see puppies mature, all the changes, their habits and interpretation of all the news things around them and so on. You’ll never get enough enjoying that.
Even when they try us out, when doing something they are not supposed to do, it is sometimes hard to correct them, but we have to do that.
Consequence of right and wrong and to be clear to the puppy is very important.
Moonlight has an age which everything she learns stays with her the rest of her life.
I wish you a wonderful time with Moonlight growing up, I am sure that Shadow will give his own contribution. In no time they will be fiends for life.

Training is never too soon, as long as you do it on a playful way and not too long at one time.
Make sure that she likes it, that is why a playful training works so good with puppies.
If she does not responds on the treats you can use your voice instead. They love to get your attention, that can be a treat for her too.
With doing right reward (with voice) and pet her as if she is the queen.
Wrong: correct her, in training start over. They are very smart even at a young age.
I really think they know how they look and try to take advantage of it.
With the most adorable innocent face they say: it wasn’t me!!!

Now I have to take care of my own two youngsters, one of them has gotten himself soaked wet!!! I have to help him to get back his pretty chow looks again.

Lissette.

WWW Chinas Joy  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print