Send Topic Print
Finally a turnaround (Read 4175 times)
Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

By Shadow and by Moonlight!

New Jersey, USA
Finally a turnaround
Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:10am

Little Moonlight has been ailing since the moment we got her.  While she perked up a few times a day, especially early morning, mostly she was lethargic and she vomited water a few times a day.  Yesterday, the water began to be green, like bile.  And she hadn't eaten a thing since she arrived.  A vet exam Friday showed she weighed 6 pounds and had a fever of about four degrees.

Today I took her back to the vet, after trying puppy kibbles, canned puppy food, my own chicken puree, and formula to no avail.  She had lost 10 ounces and was showing signs of dehydration along with diarrhea and this bilious vomit.  The vet gave her a stomach medication and something for the diarrhea.  Then they put her on IV fluids for about ten minutes.  She didn't even seem to notice the injections, but the IV was very painful.  Still, she lay calmly while I held her.  She is such a good girl!

We then tried feeding her a special prescription diet, a very soft pureed food, and she finally seemed interested in eating.  the problem was, she didn't seem to know how.  She licked the food.  So we softened it a bit more and she lapped it up.  The vet gave me four cans of it, and Moonlight finally ate a dinner, about 1/4 cup of the food.  She was VERY PERKY after that!  She was chasing Shadow all over the yard, pouncing and bouncing and even barking and bowing.  And she stayed awake quite a while, after we came back inside.  She tried to engage Shadow some more, then played with her toys before tucking in.  A little while later, she perked up again and played with Jack and me.  The funniest was when she followed Shadow to the front door.  Shadow barked at a passerby, and Moonlight joined in!

I am crossing my fingers she will be all right now.

Ef
By Shadow and by Moonlight
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

ChrismaChows

Chrisma Chows

Blaine, Washington USA
Re: Finally a turnaround
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:45am

Hi,
Not to worry you, but if she doesnt stop vomiting and diarrhea, get her back to the vet and tested for Parvo...
Those are two of the symptoms of it, and with as young as she is, there is no way she could of received all of her shots.
Ciao,
Sherrie
PS... Glad to hear she is wanting to eat and finally ate.. My pups usually start wanting to try and eat at about 3 weeks of age, and have it mastered by 4 wks of age.

Sherrie L. Determan
Chrisma Chow Chows
www.chrismachows.com
WWW ChrismaChows chrismachows   
IP Logged

Layla

Yawn, it's tiring being
this cute!

Seattle, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:11pm

Awww, I'm sorry to hear the little cutie has been poorly.  Hopefully, she'll just get better & better from here on in.

Layla  
IP Logged

Red_Dragon

I love Chows!

USA
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 9:51pm

EF, you may have rights to a refund for all of your vet expenses.

Sixteen states (Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Vermont, and Virginia) have enacted so-called “lemon laws” — consumer protection measures solely geared to provide specific recourse to members of the public who purchase sick or diseased animals from pet shops. In states where there is no lemon law, the state attorney general’s office, the state department of consumer affairs or the Better Business Bureau may have jurisdiction to address consumer disputes with a particular pet shop. These states also require pet shops to disclose particular information to purchasers and prospective purchasers, which may include the name and contact information of the breeder, any veterinary care provided to the animal prior to sale, a guarantee of good health, the animal’s vaccination history, recommendations for spay/neuter, and/or species-specific care guidelines.

Red Dragon

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 1:48pm

Red_Dragon wrote on Jul 17th, 2008 at 9:51pm:
EF, you may have rights to a refund for all of your vet expenses.

Sixteen states (Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Vermont, and Virginia) have enacted so-called “lemon laws” — consumer protection measures solely geared to provide specific recourse to members of the public who purchase sick or diseased animals from pet shops. In states where there is no lemon law, the state attorney general’s office, the state department of consumer affairs or the Better Business Bureau may have jurisdiction to address consumer disputes with a particular pet shop. These states also require pet shops to disclose particular information to purchasers and prospective purchasers, which may include the name and contact information of the breeder, any veterinary care provided to the animal prior to sale, a guarantee of good health, the animal’s vaccination history, recommendations for spay/neuter, and/or species-specific care guidelines.

I will look into those, but it's possible, as my vet admits, that the lack of eating as well as the digestive ills and subsequent dehydration were due to the stress of the plane ride, and I don't know if that would qualify as sick or diseased.

Of course, she does still have an occasional bout of vomiting, but that could also be adjusting to the new food.

I see my vet Monday, and I'll raise these concerns with her, especially if she is still not eating food.

Speaking of food, the bag of Eukanuba I bought says puppies should be getting two and a half cups of food per day. That's more than I give Shadow!  It's also more than Moonlight cares to eat.  I've been giving her about half a cup, twice a day.  And even that she doesn't eat during the day--she finishes it at night.

Can anyone tell me what's "normal"?

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:48pm

Hi Ef,

I answered you at Pre flight peek, I never gave my pups
only gibbles, is Moonlight eating also other food.
The experience I have, on the bag from food is written
always to much a-day
If Lynne should eat only gibbles she has to eat about 300
grams, that's far tooo much. She will be Miss Piggy in a
short time Grin Grin

I really hope she going better and better, I gross my fingers.
Greetings from Ted.

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 8:00pm

yes, I should have been clearer ... the half cup of food is a mix of the prescription diet and a handful of kibble.  She doesn't finish it in the morning, but it's gone by the afternoon.  Then I feed her dinner, and that gets finished overnight.

Shadow is overweight--he weighed in at 80 pounds at the vet six months ago. I'd always fed him a cup in the morning, a cup at night.  Now  I've been giving him about 3/4 cup of food with a tablespoon of chicken puree to flavor, or of table food if there's some left.

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 9:11pm

Hi Ef,

Such a young puppy has to eat 4 times a-day, you can
give the same quantity, but in 4 shares, every time fraish
If she hasn't eaten it all in half an hour, just take it away

How are her tommy and intestines at this moment and is
she gain some weight.

All my Chows/pups had dinner 4 times a-day until half a year,
then until nine months 3 times a-day.

Greetings from Ted and a big Kissfrom Lynne

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 12:11am

Thanks for that tip, Ted and Lynne!  I'll try that.

She is sleeping a lot.  I know puppies are babies, but do they really sleep all day like infants?  Moonlight is up and bouncy around 5:30 am, and she plays with me about a half hour. We do some training.  The she curls up and she's done.  She wakes again when Jack comes downstairs.  I feed her around 7 am and we play, and by 8 she 's asleep again, and she sleeps until around 11, finishes her breakfast, runs about the back yard for a little while, then sleep again until 4:30 or 5.  She plays until supper, then sleep again most of the night.  Wake up at 10, play a little, and sleep through the night.  Is this typical?  Also, it is about 95 degrees, so we're not going outside, just staying in the cool air.

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 9:28am

Hi Ef,

Puppies are eating, drinking and sleeping machines. Grin Grin
One moment they can play and 2 seconds later they are
fast asleep. Yes sometimes for hours, the younger they are
the more they sleep.
And pups are like human baby's, just the same lifestyle.
One golden rule, never disturb them when they asleep Smiley Wink

Greetings from Ted

IP Logged

Ef_Deal
BlueTongueTalker

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 3:21pm

Lynne wrote on Jul 19th, 2008 at 9:28am:
One golden rule, never disturb them when they asleep Smiley Wink

Greetings from Ted

You know with chows, you never know if they're REALLY sleeping or just waiting for you to pay more attention to them!

But I will heed your advice.  She's so cute when she sleeps anyway I wouldn't want to disturb her!

Ef
WWW GwynnaL  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print