Blue Tongue Talk
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  HomeHelpSearchLogin NetChows.com  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone tried the ORIJAN dog food? (Read 22005 times)
leisa75

I Love Chows!

Canada
Has anyone tried the ORIJAN dog food?
Jun 22nd, 2007 at 5:21am

hi there everyone i just recently switched my chows over to this new food called ORIJAN its higher in protein and low in carbs. Came vet recommened! The 2 chows i have just love it. Anyone else tried it yet. Also has no grains at all.  the website for it is www.championpetfoods.com !

IP Logged

ChrismaChows

Chrisma Chows

Blaine, Washington USA
Re: Has anyone tried the ORIJAN dog food?
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 9:18pm

Hi,
Yes I have tried this dog food.. I have a chow who is allergic to grains.  I found this to be too rich for my chow, as runny poos were a big problem, the entire time she was on this food. I switched over to
Timberwolf Organics http://timberwolforganics.com/ ;   And havent had a problem in the year I have been feeding this dogfood.
Good luck, finding a good dog food is hard.

Sherrie L. Determan
Chrisma Chow Chows
www.chrismachows.com
WWW ChrismaChows chrismachows   
IP Logged

DutchChow
Master Moderator

Let's Flavour The World
With Chows

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 7:20pm

Hi Leisa--,

"Food..."
A very difficult issue.......
What Sherrie is stating is correct..
Finding a good dog food is not easy....

There are , in fact, two consumers....
You, as human, and your chow chow(s)..
But initially you are making the choice and when the information is fitting, as you have in mind, and the smell is meeting your expectations..you give it to your dogs...
And now hopefully he likes it.... and stays in good condition and is healthy.... Smiley

Sometimes things go wrong....also with major pet food manufacturers.. take the recent issue in the USA with wheat and rice...

Peter

--
DutchChow
"While My Blue Tongue Gently Whispers: 'Chow Chow' "
IP Logged

ChrismaChows

Chrisma Chows

Blaine, Washington USA
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 8:31pm

Dog food is a tough one... I feed Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice, as Nutro changed there formula and caused quite a bit havoc on my dogs.. It took me a good year before I found another dogfood I was happy with and that gave me the results in my dogs I wanted..
If you feed a good quality dog food, you shouldnt need to supplement.  Sophie cant tolerate grains, unless they are in raw form.  Same with beef.. She can eat it raw but it wrecks holy havoc on her coat if its cooked. She gets horrible hot spots and chews like a maniac possessed on her feet...
I have been very happy with Timberwolf, it is a good food, and the results I have seen from it I like, plus Sophie loves her food.  The Blue Buffalo, I also really like alot and like the results I see from my dogs.. They dont have big poo's , meaning there body is absorbing what it needs too, they have bright alert eyes, full of energy, and have very thick luxurious coats..
If you have found a dogfood you like, dont change it... If you find it isnt right for your dog, or your dog is chewing in its feet, has alot of ear infections, its coat seems dull you may want to find a better quality dogfood or see if possibly your dog might have an allergy to something...
Finding a good dogfood is hard... Once you find it stick with it....
Ciao,
Sherrie

Sherrie L. Determan
Chrisma Chow Chows
www.chrismachows.com
IP Logged

leisa75

I Love Chows!

Canada
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 11:06pm

my two chows have been eating the orijan now for about 2 months, ihave not had any problems with there stool, and i find there more regular with this food. Kimba used to pick at the other dog food and never finish her meal, but with the orijan its gone in a matter of minutes ! None left in the bowl ! I'm gonna leave them on it ! I'll let you know if i have any problems !! So far so good !!

IP Logged

leisa75

I Love Chows!

Canada
Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 11:06pm

i used to feed the nutro but Kimba didn't care for it !

IP Logged

Red_Dragon

I love Chows!

USA
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 11:10pm

Hi Sherrie, Glad to see you join the group! I'm surprised the Blue Buffalo works for you, I tried their puppy food with a new puppy I have and she had loose stool off and on through the whole 33# bag of food. I switched her to ProPlan like I feed my adults and her stool was perfect after the change. She is very active, so I know she was burning off the calories, not sure what was causing it? She was also a little itchy on the Blue Buffalo and she stopped scratching after switching to ProPlan. I have nice coats with all of my dogs on the ProPlan and no hotspots. Smiley

Red Dragon

IP Logged

ChrismaChows

Chrisma Chows

Blaine, Washington USA
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 6:24am

Hi Sam nice to see you here too!!! I havent had a bit of problem with the BB... No runny or loose stools.
Now I dont feed alot of it either... I feed raw beef heart, chicken backs, pureed veggies.. They only get 1/2 cup of BB...  Now Akoya my puppy is getting BB chicken and brown rice and is also doing great on it.. He was on Puppy chow when I picked him up but I didnt like how dry his coat was, so now he is on BB and so far so good.
I tried the salmon version of proplan, dont remember its name but it had corn in it, and my dogs dont do well at all on corn, soy, or wheat so they didnt stay too long on it..
Like I said in the begining of this, if you can find a dogfood that works for you, stay with it... I know alot of breeders who use BB, Purina, and Nutro.. I used to like Nutro, until they changed there formula and it made all of my dogs sick...
Leisa, good luck with the Origen, I liked it, and liked what was in it, but Sophie just didnt tolerate it well.
I have been feeding her Timberwolf and she is doing great on it... Its been about a year now, and so far so good.. So IM sticking with what IM feeding as its working...<smile> 
If it aint broke dont fix it... Different dogs have different needs, and what works for one wont always work for all of them...
Ciao,
Sherrie

Sherrie L. Determan
Chrisma Chow Chows
www.chrismachows.com
IP Logged

Lene

XaSha, Vicki, Willi, Penny,
Ah Kum, Annchi & Zhong

Enkoping - Sweden
Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 11:10pm

When starting to read & understand about nutrition and how they involve in our body and our dogs bodies - understanding the differenties that there are between human and carnivors. Looking at the wolves but still knowing that we are talking about dogs and what they have evolved to in human service.
It's a big subject and means very very much for our dogs and their lives and for us as humans. It's delicate since people keeps on talking about it....and yes we need to keep on talking ... for our dogs safe.
But we'll have to stop putting our emotions in it. This is also what a lot of people will say that feed less expensive dogfoods. But we also have to make sure that the dog food companies threat the food as they're supposed to do  - to the best for our dogs. For example for dogs to be able to get anyting out of rice it should be cooked for at least three times as long as for humans and with much much more water...simple things - yes but do the dog food companies do this in order to make it best for our dogs stomaches??!! And do dogs need rice or grain??
After all that I know have read and studied ...my opinion is that this Orijen is definately one of the best, if not the best dried dog food on the market today.
But remember that there is much protein in the food which sometimes if your dog is not used to much protein - it could get problems with for example the skin. Do remember that when going over to such a dog food it can take time for your dog to get accustomized to it (if one can put it that way). A good way to do it is do it little by little because many of our dogs have different stomaches. My dogs have strong stomaches - but when XaSha was little she had a very sensitive stomach due to wrong dog food that made her allergic.
A place where I have also learned a lot and gotten deeper in my study is the following site: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ If you click at the bottom you may read about many intersting reviews of different dog foods.
If not I still think it's very interesting to read the site and this persons opinion.
I think that nutrition is one of the most important topics today with all health problems and breeding problems that there is today.
Humans suffer all kind of things because of wrong nutrition ( and not knowing ) - now it's there for our dogs too.
A wake up call.
My dogs also loves Orijen & Artemis - but also loves BARF.... so what where and when to choose???!!!
The 2 above are what I choose  in dried foods but not too much Orijen until Vicki is bigger when she also gets BARF.
Wishing you all a wonderful day tomorrow and the day after  Roll Eyes

LSH
WWW http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1436878259  
IP Logged

leisa75

I Love Chows!

Canada
Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:09pm

whats the BARF that your talking about?

IP Logged

Lynne
BlueTongueTalker

I Love Chows!

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 8:13pm

Hi Lisa ,

Look at Anita's webside for a very extensive description
from the BARF food.

Xin-Feng Chow Chows.or look at Netchows breeders,
Netherlands,you can find her web there too.

By the way I use Hills Lam and Rice,just as basic,add it
with chicken,cow or lam's meat ,cooked.
No overweight or skinproblems at all Smiley Smiley Oh yes and every
day a bowl with buttermilk

Lynne and Ted

IP Logged

ChrismaChows

Chrisma Chows

Blaine, Washington USA
Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 8:34pm

Leisa,
Anita's website will really explain BARF diet to you. I feed half and half...Sophie my allergy girl, gets Timberwolf and thats all.. No treats at all, except once in a great while she will get a raw turkey neck..
The rest of my dogs are on Blue Buffalo, they get 1/4 cup of kibble, then I add raw pureed veggies, cottage cheese or yogurt, for meat they get salmon (fresh canned, dont feed raw salmon to dogs), chicken necks and or backs, yes raw, beef heart, beef liver, turkey, buffalo... What evers on sale at the butcher shop..
My dogs are all at there right weight level and are doing great. I have to keep an eye on Kazoo cuz he would eat everyones food... He thinks he's starving, oh you should hear him talk.. LOL
Ciao,
Sherrie

Sherrie L. Determan
Chrisma Chow Chows
www.chrismachows.com
IP Logged

Ukye

Pumpkin Girl

Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 8:34am

leisa75 wrote on Jun 22nd, 2007 at 5:21am:
hi there everyone i just recently switched my chows over to this new food called ORIJAN its higher in protein and low in carbs. Came vet recommened! The 2 chows i have just love it. Anyone else tried it yet. Also has no grains at all.  the website for it is www.championpetfoods.com !

I have been using Orijen dog food for over a year now for my dogs as well as my Mother and my sister's dogs, and my cat and my other sister's cats.  I highly recommend it.  The dogs that we are working with include: 2 runt yorkies prone to hypoglycemia, 2 toy poodles with allergies and one of them used to throw out her back from difficulty passing stools, one cairn terrier with massive skin allergies, 2 shar pei mix sisters with gastro problems causing them to have massive diarhea on any other kibble (and they were always high end kibbles), 1 pit bull who had intestinal surgery, 1 elderly chow with arthritis and skin allergies.  Oh, and previously one Bichon Frise who was in transition to his new forever home.  My family does alot of rescue, so we have a whole menagerie of dogs around. 

I have tried all of the formulas, and the only one that I found difficulty with was the 6 fresh fish formula.  That particular one caused massive diarhea to my yorkies and gave Scruffy some soft stools.  Every other formula that we used did no such problem and worked amazingly well. 

Allergies are no longer a problem.  Scruffy is no longer on his arthritis medications.  The dogs with constant diarhea have normal stools.  The poodle that has problems passing stools no longer has a problem with that.  The pit bull with intestinal problems can eat normally.  After seeing what happened in my family, my cousin who runs a kennel and breeds yorkies had a problem with one of her dogs that she had been consulting with the vet...he had suddenly lost all the hair on his ears and they'd turned to leather... a battery of tests at the vet...thyroid... they had him on medications for months (try one for a month, that didn't work, a different one for another month...)  She decided she'd had enough of that, and took him off of it, and put him on the Orijen Adult, and within a week his ear hair started growing back, and within a month it was back to normal.  And he was on good food to begin with before that.  She switched her whole kennel after that. 

Oh, and the rain washes the stools away.

So I've got good reason to be very fond of it Smiley   

Best,

Ukye Smiley

Orange is as Orange does...
Ukye  
IP Logged

leisa75

I Love Chows!

Canada
Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 9:04pm

I love this food I'm glad i made the switch. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print